Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wales begins with a Yes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:29 pm 

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2011/02/25 ... #more-2280

On the 3rd of March, people in Wales shall be voting on greater powers for the Assembly. This is a huge step forward for the country, and another nail in the coffin of the UK. Despite some narrow-minded gibes about Wales being the “slow boat in the convoy”, by Scottish activists, this is in fact not the case. Wales is unlikely to overtake Scotland, but for the last ten years, it has actually travelled further and faster than Scotland has in that time.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 am 

Scottish Republican wrote:
http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2011/02/25/wales-begins-with-a-yes/#more-2280

On the 3rd of March, people in Wales shall be voting on greater powers for the Assembly. This is a huge step forward for the country, and another nail in the coffin of the UK. Despite some narrow-minded gibes about Wales being the “slow boat in the convoy”, by Scottish activists, this is in fact not the case. Wales is unlikely to overtake Scotland, but for the last ten years, it has actually travelled further and faster than Scotland has in that time.
I for one hope the welsh vote for more powers for their assembly it can only help our cause in the end,if they make more concerted moves toward separation that may at last stir up a bit more activity up here,full fiscal autonomy for scotland to start with would be great,before moving to full separation, there is a new found confidence in wales and i hope they follow it through with a yes vote

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:47 pm 

I think in their case, greater powers is the best choice, whereas we're further ahead so should go for full independence.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:18 pm 

Overwhelming yes, but low turnout, as I thought might happen.

Quote:
When the last result was declared, all 22 counties except one - Monmouthshire - backed change. Turnout is provisionally put at 35%.

The final result saw 517,132 vote Yes, and 297,380 say No - a 63.5% to 36.5% winning margin.

Some opponents have accused Wales of "sleep walking towards independence". Good.

Quote:
Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond said: “I congratulate the people of Wales on their decision to move the powers of the National Assembly forward – it is a great result for the people and for the party of Wales.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... z1FkSiQcRU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 pm 

Congrats to the welsh people on voting for direct law makin powers for there assembly,in reply to scottish republican,i too want full independance now, it will come, but it will probably be after we have achieved full fiscal autonomy,the road to independance in scotland seems to be a series of steppin stones,we started with devolution,next up is some fiscal responsibility in the next few years.