Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:38 pm 

Quote:
A political party which wants an English Parliament has called for a referendum on making the Welsh county of Monmouthshire part of England.

The English Democrats, at their spring conference in Middlesex, say they want the vote to settle the issue.

Monmouthshire was the only area in the recent referendum to reject direct law-making powers for the Welsh assembly.

Very much like the whole Berwick issue. Not the first time the English democrats have tried to claim monmouth as their own. the last election i had a leaflet through the door from the English Democrats trying to get people to come back to england.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-12726556

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:07 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

it's a bit like old Adolf wanting the low countries.It's not English so leave it alone.

To win or lose it all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:40 pm 

For: Monmouthshire voted against more powers to Wales.

Against: The English Democrat vote in Monmouthshire was dismal, ultra dismal.

Obvious Welsh placenames, i.e. beginning with Llan- etc can be found EAST of Monmouthshire, over the Border.

Hay on Wye is the Welsh national book town. :lol:

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 pm 

Quote:
But with a turnout of 35.4%, English Democrats' chair Robin Tilbrook said more people abstained, which was also an indicator of the local electorate's feelings towards the assembly.

A bigger turnout than the London Assembly referendum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm 

Typical english,they want tae take another peice of land, this time from the welsh, if thats the case can we have berwick back then,when are they goin to learn tae stay oot of other countries business!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:54 pm 

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2011/03/14 ... w-berwick/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 pm 

Apologise on the cut and paste. Mynwy and Gwent are both Welsh names for the same area. - SR

Before I commence on this very important post, please read the newspaper reports in the links below. Pobl Glyndŵr and all other Gwent patriots must launch a counter campaign now!

Move Monmouthshire into England, says referendum campaign - Wales ... - 14 Mar

6 Jan 2007 ... A CAMPAIGN to move Monmouthshire to England has been officially launched. ... Robin Tilbrook, chairman of The English Democrats, said, "Our campaign is for a referendum for ... Have your say on Wales news in our Forums. ...
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/.../tm_met ... _page.html

BBC News - English Democrats want vote on Monmouthshire Welshness - 14 Mar
13 Mar 2011 ... The English Democrats, at their spring conference in Middlesex, say they want the vote to settle the issue. Monmouthshire was the only ...
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-12726556
English Democrats call for Monmouthshire Vote.

The English Democrats, at their spring conference in Middlesex, say they ...
forums.walesonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27739

Historically, Mynwy was part of the ancient Celtic lands of Siluria and, post Roman, became the medieval kingdom of Gwent. In the 11th century, King Gruffydd ap Llywelyn sought to make it part of a united Wales but this was forestalled by Saxon agression and, not much later, by Norman invasion and colonisation. However, in the 15th century, Gwent was to fully support the Owain Glyndŵr War of Welsh Independence and many of Glyndŵr's battles were fought in Gwent - such as at Graig y Dorth, Llyngoed, Y Grysmwnt and, most signifigantly, Pwll Melyn (1405). The county became known as Monmouthshire later via the 1536 Act of Union - which nobody in Cymru signed for.

Owain Glyndŵr, besides heavy losses incurred in most of the Gwent battles, clearly felt that this part of his 'Teyrnas Glyndŵr' was worth fighting for just as much as all other parts of Wales. I thus call upon Gwent 'Pobl Glyndŵr' and all other Cymric patriots in the area to rise to the occasion to, in the first instance, ensure that all Owain Glyndŵr connections in Gwent are made more publically known with Battle Site Plaques and memorials.
Other things that could and needs to be done are:
a) A Gwent 'Llwybr Glyndŵr'.

b) An annual celebration of the victory at Graig y Dorth concluding with a Cyngerdd Glyndŵr in Trefynwy.

c) Annual commemorations for the other battles of Grosmont, Campstone Hill and Pwll Melyn.

Plus, of course, there's a need to see much more of 'Baneri Glyndŵr' flying high all over Gwent - especially as part of the 'counter campaign' earlier mentionedand particularly so on 28 May, 21 June and of course16 Sept.
EVERY PATRIOT IN WALES SHOULD HAVE ENOUGH CONFIDENCE TO FLY THE GLYNDŴR FLAG BY NOW, BE IT FROM THEIR BUSINESS, HOME OR SCHOOL.
What is the alternative? If the people of Gwent do not illustrate to this English Democrats group that Mynwy is part of our nation and is not for the taking? You will see a growing increase of the flying of St George's crosses, in this part of 'Teyrnas Glyndŵr' and no doubt, the English patriots there will want to celebrate the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Azincourt 1415-2015 with all its unfortunate Shakespearian "so called" Welsh connections so foolishly accepted and embraced by followers of 'Fluellen' (the most degrading prototype of a Welsh character there is) complete with 'Tudor' leeks and forelock tugging to English Monarchs who were made English Princes of Wales such as Monmouth's Henry V, the present Charles Windsor and next in line William Windsor and, soon to be, wife Kate, who will, no doubt, be given the title 'Princess of Wales' in due course?
Connected in many ways with the above, is my critique of 'Cadw' and it's flawed Owain Glyndŵr Interpretation plan. To begin with, Cadw is intent on leaving Gwent (and many other areas of Wales that have an Owain Glyndŵr history) out of their Glyndŵr EU - Heritage Initiative. Instead, Cadw's plans for Gwent are to lumber them with an initiative that will promote the Anglo - Norman Marcher Lords connection! Are you going to accept that colonisers version of history? Of course not!

Gwent Patriots - Pobl Glyndŵr, please read my critique of this Cadw Plan in the link below and get together as a pressure group to do something about this asap - and "full on in the face" of Cadw and the Ministry of Heritage at the Welsh Assembly. Also, organise to inform Local Authorities (that have Owain Glyndŵr history associated sites under their juristiction) of the 'Cadw Plan' so that they, also, can argue their case for being included in any EU - Heritage Owain Glyndŵr Initiative. Do not take no for an answer!

http://llysgenhadaeth.webnode.com/

However, I suspect that attention was deliberately given to Shakespeare to ease the way for Cadw to push on unsuspecting Welsh (who are foolishly followers of 'Fluellen') a major commemoration of Azincourt (1415) in 2015 and a celebration of Henry V as a Shakespeare made acceptable English Prince of Wales.
If Cadw/WAG does not cooperate, just get on with it anyway, establish a 'Gwent Hanes Glyndŵr Association' to advance your own Initiative Projects. Further note that there are moves to establish a National Glyndŵr Towns/Sites Association that will, possibly, be linked to Machynlleth Council and their Gŵyl Fawr Dathlu Coroni Glyndŵr which is held on and about 21 June annually. You can further link with this Embassy Motivated Glyndŵr 'Pan Wales Initiative' by making sure Gwent is linked nationally with the Glyndŵr Story via the Cefn Caer Arwyr Glyndŵr project. Why not, this year, see to it that Abat John ap Hywel of Llantarnam is represented by a plaque. For further info on this project, visit link below:

http://anturiaethauglyndwr.blogspot.com/

Last but not least, please note that in the aforementioned 'Cadw' Glyndŵr Initiative', the consultant makes "much ado" about Shakespeare - which Germain Greer and Peter Akroyd both agree on as being the father of 'English Identity' so, why is such attention given to Shakespeare in 'Cadw's plans? Simply, because it confuses the Welsh as to their true native Identity and thus serves to galvanise their British Identity. It is a great irony, whilst Sian shakespear (yes, that is her name) gives so much attention to William Shakespeare she totally ignores the Welsh Bard and Glyndŵr warrior Hopcyn ap Thomas who could be described as the 'Father of Welsh Identity' prior to Iolo Morgannwg. Most notably, it should have been he who gets attention as a great Welsh Bard in the Plan for, without the likes of he and the Clerwyr Glyndŵr, there might not have been such a speedy successful Glyndŵr regional rising - which erupted into a national revolt that becomes a War of Independence that was to be fought all over our nation - and, indeed, into the border lands to the East of Offa's Dyke. It is now thought that Hopcyn ap Thomas was not merely a pen pusher but also a fighter for freedom who, in due course, gave up his life fighting for Cymru at the Battle of Pwll Melyn in 1405.

See link below for more information on this very interesting Glyndŵr character, patriot and hero.
owain-glyndwr-embassyllysgenhadaeth.blogspot.com/.../hopcyn-ap-tomos-owain-glyndr_03.html

Also, you may wish to visit the blogs below for plenty of other good ideas for your campaign.

Owain Glyndwr Communicates.
- 49 visits - 14/11/201020 Feb 2011 ... Owain Glyndwr Communicates. Promoting an interest in the history of Owain Glyndwr, the Welsh Son of Prophecy, his life, times and society ...owain-glyndwr-embassyllysgenhadaeth.blogspot.com/ - Cached - Similar

CENEDL GLYNDWR - 9 visits - 07/07/2010
Today, this 'Cenedl Glyndŵr' is our nation of commemoration of the life, times and society of our national hero. This archive promotes, motivates and ...
cenedl.blogspot.com/ - Cached

Am y tro

Siân

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:42 pm 

http://thecornishrepublican.blogspot.co ... ation.html
Quote:
The English Broadcasting Corporation
BBC News - English Democrats want vote on Monmouthshire Welshness. Of course! The BBC would never miss the chance to promote a minor English nationalist party with dubious connections to the British far-right would they?

When can we expect the BBC to write about the Cornish movement or a Mebyon Kernow campaign in this way? Will they ever undertake a serious and impartial investigation into the Duchy and its constitutional status? You know? Do some journalism... Won't be holding my breath.

Anyway, as can be seen here the 'impartial and non-party political' Campaign for an English Parliament (CEP) jumped on the story and fed it to all its members and followers. Is this really an issue for the CEP to be dealing with? Of course not. The only reason it gets any coverage from them is the preponderance of English Democrats in the CEP's membership. When I pointed this out on their blog my comments lasted all of 15 minutes. English free speech? Not for those who cut too close to the bone. My exact words were:

There are serious constitutional and cultural questions over Cornwall's status as an administrative and ceremonial county of England but can we expect the EDP to call for a referendum on this and then the CEP to spread the story around the net and to all its members? Of course not. Two-faced reactionary nationalists. The EDP, and their shady connections to the British far-right, are a shame on the English nation and the CEP seems to do more than its fair share to promote this disagreeable little party. Why? Is it because the CEP is dominated by EDP members? Lets have a look at some membership statistics. Surely the English people deserve to know.

Among moderate English nationalists and the likes of UKIP there appears to be a consensus that, due to their collaboration with racist far-right parties, the English Democrats are simply not frequentable. Have the CEP heard? Do they care? Perhaps the will also be blogging articles from the BNP and EDL as long as they pander to aggressive imperialistic English nationalism. Equally, when it comes to a land grab in Wales the CEP, the 'impartial and non-party political' paragons of democracy and fair-play that they are, clearly can't help but rub their hands together in glee. Does this display of English fair-play extend to the Cornish question? Don't be silly. Democracy is only welcomed by the CEP when it comes to carving off a piece of someone elses country - absolutely not when it comes to the possibility of loosing a part of their own.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:41 pm 

The English are a desperate nation now, they are fighting for the scraps (no offence intended to the people of Monmouthshire). They ripped the spirit and identity of the Celtic nations to shreds over a prolonged period of time and let bygones be bygones and all that. Now the Celts are on the rise and English Anglo-Saxon culture is on the decline thanks to the model of society they built and designed themselves, they will do anything to take us down with them.
I watched this documentary or programme and in it featured this English man from Kent who resides up in the Shetlands and who has his own political campaign to remove The Shetlands from Scotland. He claims Scotland has no legitimate claim on the islands, the arrogant Sassenach git. Maybe he should take a look at the Channel islands or the Isle of Man or Cornwall in particular.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:21 pm 

I would respect it more if it was a Shetlander saying that.

I know the man, and the Brits have long tried to convince Shetlanders they'd be better off with London than with Edinburgh. Being ruled by Edinburgh's not a great compromise for them, but at least people have heard of the Shetland Islands there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:58 pm 

Exactly I have a couple of mates *from* the Shetlands and I would respect any opinions on Sheland self determination they or any other Shetlanders may hold, otherwise I would be a hypocrite but not from someone who moved up from the south coast of England. Most if not all the people I know who are born and bred in Scotland to English parents despise the SNP and the idea of Scottish independence. Despite being born and educated here they seem to class themselves as British/English and reject any notions of Scottish culture and heritage. I'm sure there are exceptions but this is what I've experienced.
It kind of reminds me of one of Longshanks lines in Braveheart "If we can’t get them out, we’ll breed them out".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:05 pm 

I think Shetlanders probably have opinions about Soothmoothers who go to live there, of either variety. Hill is an eccentric, even if he does have some valid points. Shetland does have some grievances of its own, but it's never going to get them sorted by hanging about with London. The most sensible option, IMHO, is for Shetland (and Orkney) to be like the Faroe Islands, which is ruled by Denmark, but is not in the EU. Self-determination for Shetland must come from Shetlanders, not just be an English cat's paw.

Shetland reminds me of the Cornish situation in some ways, with its remnant separate legal system (udal, stannary), different linguistic history (although the Shetlanders seem to have done bugger all about reviving Norn, and the Cornish ) etc, but in Cornwall, the loudest nationalist voices are Cornish people. (Although sadly, most Cornish have English accents these days).

Quote:
Most if not all the people I know who are born and bred in Scotland to English parents despise the SNP and the idea of Scottish independence. Despite being born and educated here they seem to class themselves as British/English and reject any notions of Scottish culture and heritage. I'm sure there are exceptions but this is what I've experienced.
It kind of reminds me of one of Longshanks lines in Braveheart "If we can’t get them out, we’ll breed them out".

I disagree with this, because I do know quite a few people the other way. There are some pretty famous examples as well - Compton MacKenzie, Wendy Wood to name two folk with some kind of English background who went on to become notable nationalists. In my experience, it's often the children that go nationalist, if the parents never do. Then again, on your side of the argument, there are the KT Tunstalls of the world.

I also know English people here who are turning nationalist. One I know quite well was pretty unionist, then started getting pissed off when he returned to England and wouldn't take his banknotes. He hates the Labour party enough to vote SNP as well. I think he's more sympathetic to independence than when he arrived, so it's probably a personal matter.

Some folk think the SNP is a kind of BNP when they move here, others realise it's more progressive than any of the main English parties. If they're open minded enough, and look into it, they tend to be less hostile.

There are certainly some English who are more open to the idea of independence than certain Scots. One I can think of is my aunt's husband, although he's never lived in Scotland.

Anyway, I've talked about this elsewhere. This problem really needs some intelligent planning, like the Welsh and Irish are doing, rather than folk commenting on it. There are various tricks, housing controls, means to assimilate the children, serious language teaching in the schools (not the variety we have now) etc.