Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm 

Are the SNP ready to support the Tories over boundry change in 'England' for the option of devo max? Boundary changes for devo max: the Tory-SNP deal that may reshape the UK: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/28/boundary-changes-devo-max-deal

Keep Cornwall Whole: http://keepcornwallwhole.org/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 pm 

Damn!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:02 pm 

More inaccurate pish from the Grauniad...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:34 am 

I sincerely hope you are right. I would like to think that amongst the various reasons such a pact would be rejected by Scottish nationalists could be found concern for the Cornish border with England. However I have serious doubts as to this being the case. Perhaps a pact with the Tories will be rejected but will concerns for Cornish territorial integrity even dimly glimmer in the minds of the SNP leadership?

I hear what you are saying about the quality of the Guardians journalism but you need to be honest about how you felt about this story when you read it. Many of you, like me, will still be left with a nagging doubt as to what the SNP and Plaid are prepared to do to obtain their goals and therefore also the nature of any 'Celtic solidarity' with Kernow. This should tell you all your need to know about such intercelticism. Cornish nationalists support their Scottish colleagues but can the same be said, without hesitation, about their support for us? If the answer is no then clearly more work needs to be done.

My doubts are only reinforced when I compare the number of articles written in support of an English parliament with those calling for Cornish devolution coming from Welsh and Scottish nationalist circles.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:17 pm 

Cornubian wrote:
My doubts are only reinforced when I compare the number of articles written in support of an English parliament with those calling for Cornish devolution coming from Welsh and Scottish nationalist circles.

The truth of the matter is that many people up here aren't really aware or educated about the Cornish situation.

I have written a couple of articles on this subject to try and tell Scots about this, but there's still little awareness. There are various sympathetic SNP people, but it will be a case of working through individuals rather than the party, I suppose.

Quote:
can the same be said, without hesitation, about their support for us?

There are a number of Scottish names on some of those petitions, if nothing else...

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".