Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The futures Orange..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:13 am 

From the Irish Examiner
06 February 2008

SF: We welcome Orange grants

By Caroline O’Doherty
NOT so long ago they would have seen red at the idea but Sinn Féin has shown that when peace is the priority, the future is orange.

The party yesterday welcomed a decision by the Government to grant aid to the Orange Order.

A total of €240,000 is to be made available to Orange Order branches or lodges in the border counties of Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim and Donegal over the next two years under a scheme announced by Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, Éamon Ó Cuív. These lodges have formed a company, Cadolemo Ltd, to promote community initiatives in the border regions and the Government grants are to be used to support the work of their development officer.

Mr Ó Cuív said the development officer would “provide support, training and mentoring in relation to capacity building and community development, and facilitate the securing of funding for the repair and refurbishment of Orange Hall facilities”.

The plan is to benefit not just the Orange Order but other community groups that use Orange Halls.

“A number of Orange Halls in rural areas have been attacked in recent times, activities I totally deplore, so I am delighted to be in a position to provide funding which will be focused, among other things, on developing those facilities for the various groups that use them,” said Mr Ó Cuív.

And despite the Orange Order’s staunchly Protestant, unionist ethos and traditional branding by critics as sectarian, Sinn Féin has wholeheartedly endorsed the project.

“I absolutely welcome that. I think that it’s quite an important development,” said the party’s Dáil leader, Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin, who will see the fruits of it in his own Cavan-Monaghan constituency.

“I think it’s very, very important that the focus is on reconciliation and consolidating the peace. We as Irish republicans are completely on board with that,” he said.

“I would hope that Orange Halls would not be seen as isolated from the community but that the doors would open up and would be greater community interaction across all community divisions.”

The first meeting of a Sinn Féin branch in an Orange Hall is now eagerly awaited.

Post subject: Re: The futures Orange..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:02 am 
:barf:

I can't wait to see what the orange order do to return the favour? I wonder will they now expect to be allowed to March through any town they like, you know for peace and all that sh*te.

How can the Republicans even consider this when the orange order have been one of the biggest pro unionist organisations in ireland for decades? What are they hoping will happen, that these lodges will become pro republican?? :bash:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:45 pm 
Canny wait to do my first St Patricks Day in an Orange hall :dance: :dance: :booze:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:17 pm 

Bizarre, but I suppose it puts the OO over a barrel.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:17 pm 

Saorsa.no.bas wrote:
How can the Republicans even consider this when the orange order have been one of the biggest pro unionist organisations in ireland for decades? What are they hoping will happen, that these lodges will become pro republican??

:???: Sinn Féin ... Republicans ... Not for a good few years sir.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:23 pm 

Not the Orangutan Lodge, but interesting..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7133848.stm

Fianna Fail accepted as NI party

Fianna Fail has registered as a political party in Northern Ireland, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has revealed.

Mr Ahern said NI's Electoral Commission had confirmed that the party was now officially registered there.

Speaking at a party dinner in Dublin, he said his party was consulting its grassroots on the possibility of organising in Northern Ireland.

He said it was a historic step in the development of the party on an all-Ireland basis.

Two newly-formed Northern Ireland branches of Fianna Fail, at Queen's University, Belfast and the University of Ulster, were also welcomed into the the party by Mr Ahern.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:26 pm 

I think the game (which I disagree with by the way), is to compromise them and make them "owe", in order to make them more sympathetic and accountable to nationalists and republicans.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have been talking about the Six Co.s for a while. The trouble is that both these parties, not unlike the British Tories and Labour have become ideologically bankrupt, corrupt and devoid of substance. If you want proof of their corruption, have a look at the mess they've made of rural planning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:28 pm 
Fair point Glasgow.

Ahern is a complete waste of space. I hear so many people in Ireland wanting rid of him but he never seems to go. Having more Republican parties in the six counties though is definitely a plus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:44 pm 

Aye but McCain and Huckabee are busy :roll: ... I know, al git ma coat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 pm 

glasgow wrote:
Aye but McCain and Huckabee are busy :roll: ... I know, al git ma coat.

I voted for Romney! :oooops:

"But seriously folks", on Scatland dat cam I got abused for being a Dubya supporter because of my screen name. :um-no:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:00 pm 

The Romney fella is playing at it as an ego-trip hobby for the mega-rich...

Fair play tae him though, if your uber-minted and fed up flee'in doo's and turning round scandal hit
Olympics and stuff, why not run for President?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:36 pm 
Notice on the brit news last night that they spent about 15 minutes on the American elections (lets face it all they are doing right now is only picking the effin candidates) and there was absolutely no mention of the fact that the SNP got the budget passed through parliament. Obviously im not surprised but it tells its own story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 pm 

I did notice that... laughable..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:21 am 

I just painted my hall & stairs ORANGE & BLUE!! :razz: In my opinion it looks like a bloody Irn Bru bottle..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:17 am 
Yet you still did it.... :oooops:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:27 am 

You know what women are like...They watch a couple of episodes of "Changing rooms" & they all think they're expert Interior designers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:56 pm 
We bought our house new and the wife still thinks that you have to wait five years for the walls to settle before painting them :lol: