Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: St David's Day Rally
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:29 am 
Scottish Republican wrote:

But it would still be St Andrew's Cross by any other name. :mrgreen:

That's my point.

A actually dinnae ken mony fowl apairt frae yersel that cries it St.A's flag. No even the Charlie Church at ma auld work. Jist you :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:49 pm 

Erm, it was the St Andrews Cross, before it was our flag. I just think it's kind of daft going on a St X's March, and carrying the flag of St Y.

Bruce and Wallace would have called it the flag of St Andrew.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:00 am 
Erm, it was the St Andrews Cross, before it was our flag.

Ye mean St Andrew... if he existed was nailed to a white cloth cross on a blue rectangular cloth background. A cross is a cross its meaning is relative tae whae yaises it. Like the swastika. First used as a Neolithic Indian Sun Wheel (I believe) whereas now it is associated with Nazis and Neo Nazis.

There are other saltire flags without the St Andrew's connection. The Jamaican flag for example. As far as I know the word 'saltire' is a heraldic term and is not immediately associated with St Andrew.

Bruce and Wallace would have called it the flag of St Andrew.

Would they indeed? Well times have moved on. Religion of any kind has had its day in Western Europe. It was Irish born Scottish based Francis Hutcheson (1694-1746) who said that man need not have a devotion to God in order to be morally good. It was such thinking that lead us to the largely secular existence people enjoy today.

And I certainly think an Independent Scotland should be a secular state.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 am 

Was it Montrose that said on here "the first person to mention the Nazis, is losing the argument"? Something like that.

Probably me. It's known as "Godwin's Law" or similar, though the references aren't exact... but you get the gist of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/ffi/ffi3.htm

:razz:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:32 am 

Sometimes the Nazis have to be brought up, e.g. some of the English Democrats and BNP are most of the way to being Nazi, but most of the time, no.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:55 pm 
Was it Montrose that said on here "the first person to mention the Nazis, is losing the argument"? Something like that.

Well that's crap in this case. As it could have been any symbol with different perspective meanings. Still doeasnae answer the question o why SR insists on associating the Auld Blue Blanket with St Andrew when very few other people, in my experience, do.

Or is the above SRs cop out :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm 

Ordered ma retractable pole ( :oops: ) last night so hopefully should be here for Sat morning at the latest.

Looking forward to carrying the Bratachdubh during the parade. providing it's fine with members of this organisation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:16 pm 

Athelstaneford

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 pm 
albagubeavis wrote:
Ordered ma retractable pole ( :oops: ) last night so hopefully should be here for Sat morning at the latest.

Looking forward to carrying the Bratachdubh during the parade. providing it's fine with members of this organisation.

Well, it's not often you'll be getting opportunities to do these things down there Mr Beavis sir, so I don't think anyone will mind at all - just don't hurt ma flag! It will be great to have both Siol and Scotland represented at this rally, all you need to do now is get ane of the bairns to carry a Saltire or Lion. :siol: :saltire:

Everyone - It might not be a bad idea to produce a wee flyer with details of the Siol website and forum, and some expression of solidarity with our Welsh cousins incase anyone asks our man in Cymru about the flag....? Mr Maes, do you have anything kicking around that we could use and can be printed out easily?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:44 am 

Letter in the Western Mail today

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:32 am 
Athelstaneford

was 1176 years ago. Plenty o time fir Christian bangers tae embellish the story. Whit's yer pynt caller :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:43 am 
Ye ken A've seen oan English forums (non political) they bitch and whine and moan (whit's new) aboot St George's Day no bein official. Whae gies a shite. Dae they or oany ane else really need an official decree haundit doon tae say 'It is hereforth you National Day. You shall take time of work, you shall consume alcoholic beverage. You shall ponce about like a fruitcake. For it is your day'

Scotland haes an unofficial National Day. January 25th, Scots, expats, descendants and thir mates the world oor hae Haggis an a wee swally. Listen tae bagpipes an sic. Dae they aw ask thair Gubbermint. Like hell, they jist get oan wi it

The best though is the Irish, a public holiday haed tae be created tae stop fowk fi turnin up drunk LMFAO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:29 pm 

MacMadd wrote:
Whit's yer pynt caller :mrgreen:

IPA :booze:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:00 pm 
MacMadd wrote:
Whit's yer pynt caller :mrgreen:

IPA :booze:

:funny: :booze:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:40 am 
I see Google have recognised St David's Day. So they recognise St David, St Patrtick and St George, but ignore St Andrews Day :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:50 pm 

Well what a guid day !!!

Back fae the march and knackered - Damn wind had ma flag all over the place :grin:

In all seriousness its a great day to promote your national Identity and both myself and S.R have taken many positives from the Welsh effort to generate ideas for a similar St Andrews day version. a crackin turnout in the Sunny (but windy) welsh capital today with many more there than was expected.

Hats off to S.R for giving a blessing for the March in our Native tongue on the steps of the City Hall to the gathered masses below, he even got a huge cheer for suggesting that St Davids day should be a Welsh national holiday. :mrgreen:

A pleasing point was the amount of people who asked about the Bratachdubh, and especially the positive reaction when given the reasons around the flag and it's colouring. There are certainly many more folk around Cardiff and Cornwall who are aware of what the Scots are heading for :siol:

Oh aye.....alot of folk thought i was cornish due to the flag colours - and i suppose it didnt help that S.R and myself were marching in amongst the Cornish contingent ( who hopefully will have all the pics from the day.) Should look good too with the Bratachdubh flanked eitherside by the flag of Kernow.

Was a really good day on the whole and - its been cool to finally meet S.R ( hope you get a decent journey back matey).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:11 pm 
Nice ane Beavis, look forward to seeing the pics. How many were there roughly? Do you know what kind of entertainmenmt they had on during the march and what they had planned for after? Was there any sign of commercial sponsorship?
Tiors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:19 pm 
albagubeavis wrote:
Well what a guid day !!!

Back fae the march and knackered - Damn wind had ma flag all over the place :grin:

In all seriousness its a great day to promote your national Identity and both myself and S.R have taken many positives from the Welsh effort to generate ideas for a similar St Andrews day version. a crackin turnout in the Sunny (but windy) welsh capital today with many more there than was expected.

Hats off to S.R for giving a blessing for the March in our Native tongue on the steps of the City Hall to the gathered masses below, he even got a huge cheer for suggesting that St Davids day should be a Welsh national holiday. :mrgreen:

A pleasing point was the amount of people who asked about the Bratachdubh, and especially the positive reaction when given the reasons around the flag and it's colouring. There are certainly many more folk around Cardiff and Cornwall who are aware of what the Scots are heading for :siol:

Oh aye.....alot of folk thought i was cornish due to the flag colours - and i suppose it didnt help that S.R and myself were marching in amongst the Cornish contingent ( who hopefully will have all the pics from the day.) Should look good too with the Bratachdubh flanked eitherside by the flag of Kernow.

Was a really good day on the whole and - its been cool to finally meet S.R ( hope you get a decent journey back matey).

Well done Beavis, sounded as if you and SR had a decent time of it ! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 pm 

aye had a really good time of it....and will be back again next year promoting the cause :siol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:09 pm 

Excellent stuff, guys, glad you two did the business down in Wales.

Any idea of who I can email to get some Welsh types up to Scotland for either April 6 (Arbroath) or St Andrews Day?

Kenny

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next