Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Glyndwr Memorial plans
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:22 pm 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8252401.stm

Quote:
Long-running plans have moved forward to erect a memorial in Caernarfon to Owain Glyndwr, one of the key figures in Welsh history.

Glyndwr has strong links with other areas, but he also mounted a siege in the Gwynedd town's castle.

Town mayor Hywel William said there was support at the meeting for a memorial, but more discussions were needed on its form and the location.

He said he believed Glyndwr's links with Caernarfon should be commemorated.

He said: "There was support [in the meeting] and there should be a memorial of some sort but the exact form has not been decided but it was decided to contact the Caernarfon Civic Society to discuss the form and location of a suitable memorial."
He was asked whether some people would believe that this is a waste of time and money as the links between Glyndwr and Caernarfon was not very strong.

The mayor replied: "There are stronger links with other places, but Owain Glyndwr did play a part in the history of Caernarfon and I think this should be commemorated."

The meeting at the town's library was told there is about £2,500 in a bank account set up after the idea of a memorial or plaque was first raised about 11 years ago.

The maes [grassy area] in front of the castle has been suggested as a possible location for the memorial.

Owain Glyndwr instigated an ultimately unsuccessful but long-running revolt against English rule of Wales during the end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th Centuries, Glyndwr held a siege in Caernarfon Castle in 1401 for two years and weakened the opposition.

A £125,000 bronze statue of the rebel leader has already been placed in Corwen, Denbighshire.

There is also an Owain Glyndwr centre in Machynlleth, Powys, where he held a parliament.

A fine idea and about time too, considering Caernarfon Castle was the iconic symbol of edwards rule over the welsh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 pm 

This might turn out to be their equivalent of the mounted Bruce statue at Bannockburn.

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:11 pm 

And long overdue. Unlike Wallace, he was never betrayed to the English, and disappears from history. But he's still lurking there, ready to rise again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 pm 

There was a great programme on the Yesterday Channel on this man and his campaigns this morning I now know why the Welsh hate the English after the way they treated them dispite the amount of Welshmen who helped England win their battles with archers !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:54 pm 

The Fifer wrote:
There was a great programme on the Yesterday Channel on this man and his campaigns this morning I now know why the Welsh hate the English after the way they treated them dispite the amount of Welshmen who helped England win their battles with archers !

Took a pal of mine down to Wales earlier this year. He was actually shocked by the sheer number of castles, and said, "these are not there to impress, they're there to intimidate the local population". He also realised that most of our castles were built by Scots for Scots. In Wales, they're to keep down the locals. One of them almost bankrupted the young Longshanks.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:58 pm 

Insurrection by Robyn Young describes what happened in Wales during the English occupation quite well and does well to describe the conditions the Welsh lived under English rule!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:34 pm 

I taped this programme on Owain Glendower that Fifer refers to about 6 years ago. Must get it converted to DVD (Next project). If there's any interest amongst members, let me know.

If I remember rightly, I was a bit taken aback that an English based prog was so sympathetic to the Welsh cause.

This has often been referred to as Longshanks' "ring of steel", which nearly was his financial undoing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:56 am 

Aye, count me in for a copy if you get round to it, please.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:26 am 

No worries, Jolly.
Will dig it out tomorrow when everyone else is lying about like a burst ba' with the drink.