Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:03 pm 

From his blog, Leargas

http://leargas.blogspot.com/2009/06/good-days-work.html

Quote:
‘This is an Assembly of the Irish American community’ one delegate declared to the large gathering in the Hilton Hotel on Saturday in New York.

Quote:
They heard Professor O'Leary of the University of Pennylvania outline some of the ways to unite Ireland. Interestingly he also pointed out that the Scottish Nationalist Party recent victory of the British Labour Party could bring an end to the Union of England and Scotland in the quite near future.

Readers will note that this would have obvious ramifications for the so-called United Kingdom and the Good Friday Agreement part in which we live.

Surprised he has not made greater play of this before, but then again, maybe it's best that Irish republicans stay out of Scottish politics.

I am now convinced that Scotsmen must decide in the near future whether they wish to be citizens of a free country or citizens of a rather stale music-hall joke. And I am quite certain that no middle course is possible.
Archibald G Macdonell (1896-1941)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:30 am 

Gerry Adams is an Irish Unionist who wants to unite an island that has never been united other than under Cromwell, even to the extent of bombs & bullets if he doesnt get his own way . Scottish Nationalists want to divide an island, we have little in common with the Irish struggle other than seeing british unionism as a common enemy.

If Ireland was part of France (for example :beret: ) & there was a small pocket in the North seeking independence based on their Scottish heritage, who's cause do yo think we would be supporting???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:02 pm 

Ireland is more of a nation than Britain ever was.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:33 pm 

How would that be.... :???:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:26 pm 

Mr miles wrote:
How would that be.... :???:

Lack of a centralised state does not mean lack of a nation.For thousands of years Ireland was a single cultural block that spoke the same language and shared the same customs whereas only in relatively recent times has the whole of Scotland spoken the same language

"The traditions of the Irish people are the oldest of any race in Europe north and west of the Alps, and they themselves are the longest settled on their own soil "- Edmund Curtis (A History of Ireland: From Earliest Times to 1922)

http://www.historyireland.com///volumes ... es/?id=214

http://www.historyireland.com///volumes ... es/?id=216

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:31 pm 

Conolly wrote:
"The traditions of the Irish people are the oldest of any race in Europe north and west of the Alps, and they themselves are the longest settled on their own soil "- Edmund Curtis (A History of Ireland: From Earliest Times to 1922)

Before or after they migrated there from Scotland? :hide:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:27 am 
Mr miles wrote:
Conolly wrote:

Before or after they migrated there from Scotland? :hide:

:clap:

Well said sir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:15 am 

Genetic studies show that the Irish population is still pretty much homogenous and that we arrived here in Ireland around ten thousand years ago from Northern Spain and the Basque country

We didn't arrive through what today is Scotland at all,the latest studies show we most likely crossed over from Brittany and Wales

Gaelic culture on the other hand,which I take it you espouse,most definetely came to Scotland from Ireland and unlike Ireland,Gaelic culture has never covered the whole of Scotland

So by your logic,doesn't trying to meld lowland Scottish culture,which is essentially English and Norse with the Gaelic culture of the Highlands and Western Isles make you a Scottish unionist?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:21 pm 

In the Scottish Lowland culture and language there are plenty place names of Gaelic origin and Pictish origin.. and plenty words that were borrowed from the Gaelic language. That hints that the Gaelic language was being spoken down in the south of Scotland at one time. The South West of Scotland spoke Gaelic with a similar dialect to the Isle of Man.

Genetically Scots are similar, whether Lowland or Highland.

But you are right, the gaelic language retreated over time to the north west.

How much of Ireland converses in Irish on a daily basis?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:50 pm 

Quote:
Genetic studies show that the Irish population is still pretty much homogenous and that we arrived here in Ireland around ten thousand years ago from Northern Spain and the Basque country

We didn't arrive through what today is Scotland at all,the latest studies show we most likely crossed over from Brittany and Wales

Have you ever thought that everyone in britain & Ireland crossed a land bridge from northern Europe & had similar DNA, the difference is england got invaded so many times their genetics would have changed the most. as for Irish coming from Scotland...Well they had to come from somewhere in large enough numbers & Scotland is the shortest crossing, also most archaeology in Scotland pre dates similar found in Ireland.

Quote:
Gaelic culture on the other hand,which I take it you espouse,most definetely came to Scotland from Ireland and unlike Ireland,Gaelic culture has never covered the whole of Scotland

I've always maintained Gaelic came from Ireland... Espousing it? You have no idea how wrong you are... :roll:

Quote:
So by your logic,doesn't trying to meld lowland Scottish culture,which is essentially English and Norse with the Gaelic culture of the Highlands and Western Isles make you a Scottish unionist?

Trust me, I would be perfectly happy with an Independent Western Isles :saltire: , but its not going to happen :cry: . So if wanting a united Scotland makes me a Scottish unionist, fair enough...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:23 pm 

Friseal wrote:
In the Scottish Lowland culture and language there are plenty place names of Gaelic origin and Pictish origin.. and plenty words that were borrowed from the Gaelic language. That hints that the Gaelic language was being spoken down in the south of Scotland at one time. The South West of Scotland spoke Gaelic with a similar dialect to the Isle of Man.

Genetically Scots are similar, whether Lowland or Highland.

But you are right, the gaelic language retreated over time to the north west.

How much of Ireland converses in Irish on a daily basis?

While similar chara,there is a clear divide.Oppenheimers irritatingly titled "Origins of the British people" is a good read on the subject

Outside of the Gaeltachts very few would use Irish as an everday language but at the last census a million people were recorded as being fluent as Gaeilge.Its also the language of government in Ireland

Also,Gaelic games are huge in Ireland,with an average of two million people a year attending games and over half a million playing them

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:36 pm 

Mr miles wrote:
Quote:

Have you ever thought that everyone in britain & Ireland crossed a land bridge from northern Europe & had similar DNA, the difference is england got invaded so many times their genetics would have changed the most. as for Irish coming from Scotland...Well they had to come from somewhere in large enough numbers & Scotland is the shortest crossing, also most archaeology in Scotland pre dates similar found in Ireland.

Quote:

I've always maintained Gaelic came from Ireland... Espousing it? You have no idea how wrong you are... :roll:

Quote:

Trust me, I would be perfectly happy with an Independent Western Isles :saltire: , but its not going to happen :cry: . So if wanting a united Scotland makes me a Scottish unionist, fair enough...

Are you sure about the archaelogy?

http://www.mythicalireland.com/secretso ... stones.php

And recent studies do show that there is a clear difference between the people of Ireland and those of Britain

http://www.rte.ie/tv/bloodoftheirish/

You are a member of a site that promotes Scottish independence called seed of the Gael.Forgive me for inferring that you were a proponent of Gaelic culture

Also,none of what you have said backs up your ridiculous and offensive assertion that Britain is more of a country than Ireland ever was when its quite clear that Ireland is more of a unified nation than Scotland ever was

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 pm 

despite what our british masters (who control our media) would have you believe, i am of the opinion that the irish gaels came via scotland.
have you seen the old clan map of ireland - the Mc's in the northern half and the O's in the southern half (please correct me if i am wrong).

another point is that there were tens of thousands of gallowglas migrating to ireland from scotland to fight at the time when ireland was under english rule (13th centuary onward).

scotland never succumbed to english rule until the early 18th centuary.

regarding your comment about lowland and highland, if you look at a map and the place names in scotland, they are largely gaelic with some viking around the coasts and islands.

i have read a very good book by an irishman (prof duffy if i remember correctly) about the scots army fighting the anglo-irish in ireland, it was quite an insight for me.

i know the charecter of the scots and i have no doubts that we are not an anglo nation - until the mass influx of people begining in the early 1990's.

take a look at the statistics for scotland and you may be quite surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:01 pm 

one other thing.... have you ever been to the scottish national museum? there's a wealth of gaelic artifacts which they do their best to deny.
i have been to the irish national museum & i have seen the book of kells.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:35 pm 

I visited Doon Hill near Dunbar today. There is an Historic Scotland plaque... more or less says, "before marks showed up in field, no one knew there was a settlement here."

Apart from the fact that the obvious modifications to the hill are still obvious from the main road, they don't bother to mention that "Doon" is an obvious derivative of "Dun" which means a "(hill) fort". Of course the history section also has it going from being a British (i.e. Cymric) to an Anglo-Saxon settlement, without mentioning that some Gael must have cried it Cnoc an Duin at some point and that got corrupted into Doon Hill (probably because someone thought it meant "down" - it's not next to a higher hill either)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:38 pm 

dun wrote:
one other thing.... have you ever been to the scottish national museum? there's a wealth of gaelic artifacts which they do their best to deny.
i have been to the irish national museum & i have seen the book of kells.

Name them and shame them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:35 am 

Conolly wrote:
Mr miles wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And recent studies do show that there is a clear difference between the people of Ireland and those of Britain

You are a member of a site that promotes Scottish independence called seed of the Gael.Forgive me for inferring that you were a proponent of Gaelic culture

Also,none of what you have said backs up your ridiculous and offensive assertion that Britain is more of a country than Ireland ever was when its quite clear that Ireland is more of a unified nation than Scotland ever was

Is anyone suposed to take seriously a link called 'mythical ireland'?

As for genetics, the Irish crossed a land bridge like everyone else ..

Ireland more united than Scotland??? Get real.....!!! Several hundred years since Scotland had a civil war!! despite our different languages, history, culture, & religion,Scottish people are all proud of being Scottish...even unionists!!! a little bit of complaining from the Northern isles about being more Scandinavian than Scottish does not leave them reaching for the Armalite.. Ireland has never been united. Scotland will be Independent long before Ireland is ever united.... Fact... :???:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:24 am 

There's also the work that Lane and Campbell did which brings into question just how much influence Ireland had on the Dalriadan area - mentioned here - http://www.siol-nan-gaidheal.org/dunadd.htm. That's not to deny that there has long been a cultural continuity between the two countries over more than a millenium, based at least in part on our mutual (and continuing) problems with an aggressive and overbearing neighbour.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 pm 

dun wrote:
despite what our british masters (who control our media) would have you believe, i am of the opinion that the irish gaels came via scotland.
have you seen the old clan map of ireland - the Mc's in the northern half and the O's in the southern half (please correct me if i am wrong).

another point is that there were tens of thousands of gallowglas migrating to ireland from scotland to fight at the time when ireland was under english rule (13th centuary onward).

scotland never succumbed to english rule until the early 18th centuary.

regarding your comment about lowland and highland, if you look at a map and the place names in scotland, they are largely gaelic with some viking around the coasts and islands.

i have read a very good book by an irishman (prof duffy if i remember correctly) about the scots army fighting the anglo-irish in ireland, it was quite an insight for me.

i know the charecter of the scots and i have no doubts that we are not an anglo nation - until the mass influx of people begining in the early 1990's.

take a look at the statistics for scotland and you may be quite surprised.

In my own county in the mid west,the three principal clans are O Brien,MacNamara and McMahon,McGrath and McCarthy are Cork and MacGillicuddy is Kerry so the Macs and O's are fairly evenly divided between the whole island

Gaelic culture came to Ireland from iberia and all evidence suggests it spread up through Ireland and into Scotland

I'll make a point of visiting the Scottish musuem next time i'm over,those artifacts sound interesting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:26 pm 

Mr miles wrote:
Conolly wrote:
Mr miles wrote:
[

Is anyone suposed to take seriously a link called 'mythical ireland'?

As for genetics, the Irish crossed a land bridge like everyone else ..

Ireland more united than Scotland??? Get real.....!!! Several hundred years since Scotland had a civil war!! despite our different languages, history, culture, & religion,Scottish people are all proud of being Scottish...even unionists!!! a little bit of complaining from the Northern isles about being more Scandinavian than Scottish does not leave them reaching for the Armalite.. Ireland has never been united. Scotland will be Independent long before Ireland is ever united.... Fact... :???:

The site has a link to a programme called secrets of the stones

I see you haven't offered any links or evidence,just nonsensical ramblings

Ireland was a homogenous cultural unit for millenia before the vikings showed up and even then they assimilated to Irish culture.The first wave of normans became in the famous phrase of the day "more Irish than the Irish themselves"

Are you so myopic that you can't see that the cause of disunity between the people of Ireland today is caused by the decsendants of lowland Scot planters,brought over by the english to pacify a resolutely Gaelic province that kept rebelling,much the same as they had earlier done with english planters in Munster for the same reasons

To say Ireland has never been united is to deny all evidence.You have a truly colonised mind if you are of the opinion that the only way a nation can be united is under an english fuedal system