Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:12 pm 
Mac's and O's are jist different naming conventions fae different eras. It's jist that the Scots Gaels never adopted O

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:03 pm 

MacMadd wrote:
Mac's and O's are jist different naming conventions fae different eras. It's jist that the Scots Gaels never adopted O

Is there anything in the Scots gaelic to denote the female?

As Ui (O) becomes Ni for a female in Irish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:35 pm 

Nic is the feminine prefix in Scots Gaelic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:28 am 

MacMadd wrote:

Pedant point - not in a big way... there are one or two Scottish O names.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:45 am 
Such as?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 pm 

Look up Black's Surnames of Scotland, it lists several. I can't think of them off hand.

I think there is one which is O' Hay, and sometimes Agnew has been derived from O Gniomh, but it's usually given a French derivation (Agneau)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:41 pm 

Fianna na h-Alba wrote:
Nic is the feminine prefix in Scots Gaelic.

Nic is used here too chara,it depends on the spelling of the name though

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 pm 

Scottish Republican wrote:
Look up Black's Surnames of Scotland, it lists several. I can't think of them off hand.

I think there is one which is O' Hay, and sometimes Agnew has been derived from O Gniomh, but it's usually given a French derivation (Agneau)

Ogilvie is a famous one too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:23 pm 

Thanks for reminding me - Ogilvie = O Gille Bhuidhe, usually MacGillebhuidhe now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:36 am 

Quote:
The site has a link to a programme called secrets of the stones

I see you haven't offered any links or evidence,just nonsensical ramblings

britain & Ireland were both permanently settled in the Mesolithic age, britain was settled first by tribes from europe, it makes perfect sense that they then travelled to Ireland, the shortest route being from Scotland. Look at the archaeology...Crannogs (yes them again :wacko: ) Ones in Scotland pre date the ones in Ireland, likewise Duns, Brochs & roundhouses... Standing stones are from the Neolithic period & found throughout Europe. I dont do web links, you can find rubbish to back up anything on the web, read a few good, well researched books insted..

Quote:
Ireland was a homogenous cultural unit for millenia before the vikings showed up and even then they assimilated to Irish culture.The first wave of normans became in the famous phrase of the day "more Irish than the Irish themselves"

Strangely enough the same thing happened in Scotland.. :???:

Quote:
Are you so myopic that you can't see that the cause of disunity between the people of Ireland today is caused by the decsendants of lowland Scot planters,brought over by the english to pacify a resolutely Gaelic province that kept rebelling,much the same as they had earlier done with english planters in Munster for the same reasons

So a "Brother against brother" civil war 90 years ago was caused by Scottish settlers 400 years ago.... :wacko:. Oh & its come full circle, the one major factor holding Scotland back is sectarianism imported from Ireland & the followers of a certain couple of kickball teams, sad but true...

Quote:
To say Ireland has never been united is to deny all evidence.You have a truly colonised mind if you are of the opinion that the only way a nation can be united is under an english fuedal system

Firstly it was a Norman Feudal system... So where was Ireland ever united? To try & claim that Ireland was one big united Celtic/Gaelic Utopia, when the rest of britain & europe was nothing more than bands of tribes is a nonsense...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 pm 

Mr miles wrote:
Quote:

britain & Ireland were both permanently settled in the Mesolithic age, britain was settled first by tribes from europe, it makes perfect sense that they then travelled to Ireland, the shortest route being from Scotland. Look at the archaeology...Crannogs (yes them again :wacko: ) Ones in Scotland pre date the ones in Ireland, likewise Duns, Brochs & roundhouses... Standing stones are from the Neolithic period & found throughout Europe. I dont do web links, you can find rubbish to back up anything on the web, read a few good, well researched books insted..

Quote:

Strangely enough the same thing happened in Scotland.. :???:

Quote:
Are you so myopic that you can't see that the cause of disunity between the people of Ireland today is caused by the decsendants of lowland Scot planters,brought over by the english to pacify a resolutely Gaelic province that kept rebelling,much the same as they had earlier done with english planters in Munster for the same reasons

Quote:

Firstly it was a Norman Feudal system... So where was Ireland ever united? To try & claim that Ireland was one big united Celtic/Gaelic Utopia, when the rest of britain & europe was nothing more than bands of tribes is a nonsense...

Your comment about not "doing web links" reveals you as a man with ingrained prejudices that hasn't got the balls or the brains to let them go.Also you don't give the impression of being a well read man seeing as how you ignored links I posted from a history periodical

While Scotland was divided between Gaels,Picts and Vikings ,Ireland was Wholly Gaelic with a High King whose capital was Tara.And where have I claimed that Ireland was a utopia while the rest of Europe were backward savages?

And what has the civil war got to do with the disunity of the people of the six counties today?Another complete misrepresentation of what I said not to mention another ridiculous assertion!

Funnily enough,sectarianism was brought to Ireland by Scottish planters that could be counted upon to disdain the native catholic population.It was one of the main reasons why the English chose them for this plantation.When Irish migrants escaping An Gorta Mor arrived in Glasgow they landed in a city that until recently had more anti'catholic societies than catholics .The orange order was founded by Scottish planters so what you have in Scotland today are the descendants of these original emigres coming home and bringing their bile back with them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm 

Quote:
I dont do web links, you can find rubbish to back up anything on the web, read a few good, well researched books insted..

You've kindy got a hangup about that. I've explained why I myself post web links. Unless the books are online, it's hard for people to access them.

Common sense applies with weblinks the same as it would with books. You can usually tell quite fast what's reliable and what's not.

For what it's worth, a lot of the historical stuff you come out with is okay, but some other people make claims and statements which are dubious and don't back them up in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
a man with ingrained prejudices that hasn't got the balls or the brains to let them go.

Can you lay off the personal attacks please? We don't need more fight club.

I don't agree with Mr Miles on certain things, but stupid and cowardly he is not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:00 am 

I don't agree with Mr Miles on certain things, but stupid and cowardly he is not.

Agreed. And at least he has the bottle to challenge so-called accepted history

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 am 

MacMadd wrote:

Agreed. And at least he has the bottle to challenge so-called accepted history

Challenging accepted history is one thing

Deliberately distorting it so as to be gratuitously offensive is another

What bravery indeed to this from behind a computer!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:31 am 
Conolly wrote:

How is disagreeing with you deliberately distorting or gratuitously offensive? :roll:

Is it offensive to you to consider the possibility that the Scots and Irish are much the same people and have been so for millennia?

Conolly wrote:

How come people who type such nonsense dinnae see the irony in themselves also sittin behind a computer :laughandpoint:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 pm 

MacMadd wrote:
Conolly wrote:

How is disagreeing with you deliberately distorting or gratuitously offensive? :roll:

Is it offensive to you to consider the possibility that the Scots and Irish are much the same people and have been so for millennia?

Conolly wrote:

How come people who type such nonsense dinnae see the irony in themselves also sittin behind a computer :laughandpoint:

What irony? I was simply pointing out the absurdity of calling anyone "brave" when all you know of them is what the type on their keyboard!

Reffering to Irish Republicans as unionists is grossly offensive.It implies that the Irish people don't have a right to the whole of their country

The Irish and much of the Scottish people are one and the same,i'm not denying that

But from Niall of the nine Hostages to Brian Boru Ireland has had a high King and Tara has been our capital culturaly and politically for millenia.To deny this isn't "challenging accepted history",its being gratuitously offensive

How would you like it if I was to claim England had a right to control you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm 

For what it's worth there are those who argue that Scotland was never a nation.

Their rationale is that before the Wars of Independence we were divided into several different provinces with different laws and even languages. That the Hebrides only became part of Scotland eight hundred years ago. Or that from the late Middle Ages onwards, there was a Highland-Lowland divide, and that central government had little control over the west Highlands.

Myles na gCopaleen handled the Ulster question very well. He said something more or less along the lines of "Of course Ulster is different from the rest of Ireland, but then again, so is Dublin, so is Leinster, so is Munster, so is Connacht".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:24 pm 

For what it's worth there are those who argue that Scotland was never a nation.

Their rationale is that before the Wars of Independence we were divided into several different provinces with different laws and even languages. That the Hebrides only became part of Scotland eight hundred years ago. Or that from the late Middle Ages onwards, there was a Highland-Lowland divide, and that central government had little control over the west Highlands.

Myles na gCopaleen handled the Ulster question very well. He said something more or less along the lines of "Of course Ulster is different from the rest of Ireland, but then again, so is Dublin, so is Leinster, so is Munster, so is Connacht".

Cromwell was a racist ethnic cleanser and religious bigot of the worst kind.He meant to finish us.And had he the technology at his disposal that Hitler had he would have!

Irelands population stood at 1.5 million people before he landed and had fallen to just half a million a few decades later.To Hell or Barbadoes:The ethnic cleansing of Ireland is a good read on the subject

It is grossly offensive for someone to claim We were never a united people until he showed up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:32 pm 
Conolly wrote:
What irony? I was simply pointing out the absurdity of calling anyone "brave" when all you know of them is what the type on their keyboard!

And you too are behind a computer. That is all we know of you. [/riposte]

Conolly wrote:
Reffering to Irish Republicans as unionists is grossly offensive.It implies that the Irish people don't have a right to the whole of their country

The Republican Irish want a UNITED Ireland.

And the Brits don't have (in their minds) a right to the whole of 'their' island?

Conolly wrote:
But from Niall of the nine Hostages to Brian Boru Ireland has had a high King and Tara has been our capital culturaly and politically for millenia.

Seems tae be a favourite word of yours millennia. Millennia is of course the plural of millennium. Latin for 1000 years. Your use of millennia would imply that you are referring to thousands of years. But Niall of the nine Hostages and Brian Boru are from the Dark Ages an era lasting from the 5th century to approximately AD 1000. A period of about 600 years which began 1600 years ago. Neither figures which could be considered millennia.

The first settlers in Scotland were about 9500 years ago. The settlement of Ireland began roughly about the same time, give or take. The period you hold so dear in identifying the Irish and Ireland is minuscule in comparison

Conolly wrote:

I think you will find the English already make such a claim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:45 pm 

MacMadd wrote:
Conolly wrote:

And you too are behind a computer. That is all we know of you. [/riposte]

Conolly wrote:

The Republican Irish want a UNITED Ireland.

And the Brits don't have (in their minds) a right to the whole of 'their' island?

Conolly wrote:
But from Niall of the nine Hostages to Brian Boru Ireland has had a high King and Tara has been our capital culturaly and politically for millenia.

Seems tae be a favourite word of yours millennia. Millennia is of course the plural of millennium. Latin for 1000 years. Your use of millennia would imply that you are referring to thousands of years. But Niall of the nine Hostages and Brian Boru are from the Dark Ages an era lasting from the 5th century to approximately AD 1000. A period of about 600 years which began 1600 years ago. Neither figures which could be considered millennia.

The first settlers in Scotland were about 9500 years ago. The settlement of Ireland began roughly about the same time, give or take. The period you hold so dear in identifying the Irish and Ireland is minuscule in comparison

Conolly wrote:

I think you will find the English already make such a claim

I'm not claiming to be brave nor am I reffering to others as such

Ireland clearly belongs to the Irish people.British colonisers have no right to veto our march to reunification

I'm well aware of the timeline for Niall and Boru.The millenia i'm reffering to is the lenght of time Tara was the spiritual,cultural and political capital of Ireland

And does the fact that the English make this claim make it correct?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next