Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 pm 

Saturday July 3rd Welsh Republicans will be honouring the memory of the two martyrs who died on active service. The commemoration takes place in Abergele.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:32 pm 

Will the Welsh Republicans be led by an english Irish Republican flute band again?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm 

......Liverpool Irish Patriots flute band confirmed as second band to join parade :innocent9:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 pm 

Mr miles wrote:
Will the Welsh Republicans be led by an english Irish Republican flute band again?

To be fair Mr Miles, this doesn't quite have the same resonance in Cymru as it does here, especially Glasgow way.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:31 am 
albagubeavis wrote:
:innocent9:

Huv ye loast yer floot?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 am 

Mr miles wrote:

The march will be led by a Welsh Republican colour party and their own musicians, i think the Liverpool Irish Patriots RFB will be there and possibly other RFBs. Its called Celtic solidarity.
Would be great if Scottish republicans/nationalists could attend.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:53 am 
Indeed Iain, its something that if I could attend I would, unfortunately I canny even make everything thats goes on in Scotland so Wales is a bit of a push for me!
Celtic solidarity would be great but unfortunately the majority of Scottish based Irish republicans vote for a Unionist party, which is something that whilst it beggars belief it needs sorting and fast. I have to say I feel no solidarity with those folk.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 am 

I think you are wrong on Republicans in Scotland voting for a unionist party. Every active Republican[who are actually members of Republican groups/orgs] i know in Scotland voted SNP, some more enthusiastically than others mind. I dont dispute that many of the bar-room inactive self declared republicans continue to vote Labour, but even they are being persuaded to support Scottish independence and vote SNP.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:41 am 
If there's a floot band in it count me out!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:26 am 
Iain, im not having a dig here a' charaid but its a sad but true fact. i too know republicans who are involved and its them that are telling me about this bizarre phenomenon, ive also seen all the stuff on the message boards. These are band members were talking about here, and yes im aware some of them vote the right way but theyre not in the majority.
MacMadd, ive got to be honest, it wouldnt bother to march behind a flute band in Wales, its only music and they dont have the same negative connotations in Wales as they do here.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:54 pm 
iainmhor wrote:
I think you are wrong on Republicans in Scotland voting for a unionist party. Every active Republican[who are actually members of Republican groups/orgs] i know in Scotland voted SNP, some more enthusiastically than others mind. I dont dispute that many of the bar-room inactive self declared republicans continue to vote Labour, but even they are being persuaded to support Scottish independence and vote SNP.

It's a real shame - I do believe there is potential there. Are you going yourself Iain?

Tend to agree with Nialliadh about RFBs in Wales - not the same at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm 
LeJockSportif wrote:

A wasnae lookin at this fae the anti-Sectarian viewpoint. A jist hate feckin floot bands. A hate the shrill rammie they make. Widnae be impressed wi a brass band either

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:54 pm 

They even have marching Accordion bands, Jesus... Who's bloody idea was that? And who would be sad enough to join one.. :wtf:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:26 am 

There is actually a notable Irish population in Wales - Holyhead, Swansea and Cardiff all have "colonies", but it's never been quite the same issue.

I think the Welsh are more into brass bands, and some of them are really good too. The only English ones which compare are the Lancashire and Yorkshire colliery bands.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:58 pm 

LeJockSportif wrote:
iainmhor wrote:

It's a real shame - I do believe there is potential there. Are you going yourself Iain?

Yes im going. Very much looking forward to not just the Abergele Martyrs commemoration, but the Celtic camp with activists for independence from Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Breton and Galicia. There is the Cambrian Mountain Welsh Republican band leading the parade and they wear kilts and play a few different instruments. Also on the agenda is a trip to Frongoch , site of the British concentration camp where all the captured Irish volunteers of the 1916 Easter Rising were interned and which went on to become the university of revolution and the crucible in which the tactics and strategies along with organising/training for the Irish war of independence took place.

I would love to see Siol nan Gaidheal represented in Cymru at this pluralist event for Celtic solidarity and independence of the Celtic nations.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 pm 

It has been mentioned before, As you know flute bands put a lot of Scottish people off attending.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 pm 
iainmhor wrote:
Cambrian Mountain Welsh Republican band leading the parade and they wear kilts and play a few different instruments.

Gotta love the sound o the kilts :roll:

iainmhor wrote:
I would love to see Siol nan Gaidheal represented in Cymru at this pluralist event

Is there a lot o Welsh at say... the Bannockburn commemeration....?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:59 pm 

Welsh republicans will be attending events like Bannockburn in the future. The kilts are worn by Welsh and Irish, probably others, thats a good thing.

For those who dont like flute bands, fair enough, but i think its wrong to get overly subjective about music when it comes to a cause, which transcends genres.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:11 pm 

Devils advocate :-

Q: Is there really a thread linking these "Celtic" nations ?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 pm 

Only the Celtic language and in 5 cases a common oppressor. Breton being the exception and id say Galicia like the Basque Country are not Celtic nations but i support Palestine and a host of nations and stateless peoples internationally although the main struggle will always be for independence for Alba.