Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brexit and Gaelic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:33 pm 

Now that Brexit has happened, we need to heed Boyd Robertson's warning prepare for major threats to the Gaelic culture -- to everything Scottish, in fact -- coming from the Johnson-Farage axis. Their attitudes towards Gaelic probably make the Daily Mail's look enlightened. Whatever Westminster controls in terms of financial or any other kind of support, it would be naive to go on depending on it. And then there's the loss of any EU funding not just for cultural activities but for the actual economic infrastructure that keeps the core community in the Highlands and Islands going. We need to put our heads together and apply every idea we can come up with to help both culture and community. I have a few myself and I expect others do too.

I haven't been able to get to Siol activities for a while, including any gathering there was at Bannockburn yesterday, much to my disappointment. So I don't know whether Siol has any dedicated 'planning sub-committee' or anything similar for Gaelic-related issues. If nothing like that exists at the moment, could we set it up specially?

Post subject: Re: Brexit and Gaelic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm 

You are completely right. There are a lot of objections to certain aspects of the EU - and I did vote Remain with a few disclaimers - but there is no doubt that in regard to Gaelic they have done a lot of good.

There are three aspects which are good for Gaelic and Gaels -
* Minority language requirements.
* Infrastructure, the funding of roads in remote areas.
* Farm subsidy.

They are of course very weak on fishing issues, but these are three that have been good.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".