Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 pm 

The Fifer wrote:
Here is some info I gleaned from the web about Black Rood so named because the piece of the true cross was carried in a black wooden box.It was stolen by Edward 1 in 1296 and returned in 1328 and lost after the battle of Neville Cross after held at Durham Cathedral until 1540 when during the reformation it was said to have been destroyed by Henry Vlll during the sacking of the building but there is always hope that some one might have smuggled it away or possibly it could have been taken back to Westminster who knows worth researching! :saltire:

I've read that Queen Margaret, later Saint Margaret, had a special crucifix made, into which the piece of cross was inserted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 am 

Hi Folks,

I too heard that the Stone of Destiny was made from a black Meteorite just like the Kabba in Mecca. That the stone was shaped into a "lozanger" shape, and was slightly curved at the top where the Kings sat. That it was highly polished and had ancient markings/writings incised into it.

Stephen. :saltire:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:20 pm 

The Fifer wrote:
Here is some info I gleaned from the web about Black Rood so named because the piece of the true cross was carried in a black wooden box.It was stolen by Edward 1 in 1296 and returned in 1328 and lost after the battle of Neville Cross after held at Durham Cathedral until 1540 when during the reformation it was said to have been destroyed by Henry Vlll during the sacking of the building but there is always hope that some one might have smuggled it away or possibly it could have been taken back to Westminster who knows worth researching! :saltire:

Didn't someone once say that there are so many splinters of the "True Cross" that they could build Noah's Ark out of them all?

There were at least prepuces of Jesus around as well. That's Jesus' foreskin - he was a Jew - something a lot of folk forget!

Quote:
I too heard that the Stone of Destiny was made from a black Meteorite just like the Kabba in Mecca. That the stone was shaped into a "lozanger" shape, and was slightly curved at the top where the Kings sat. That it was highly polished and had ancient markings/writings incised into it.

The "Fail" in Lia Fail can also mean marked or incised, as well as "destiny", or the ancient kingdom of Faileas.

Read this as well, very interesting -
http://www.libraryireland.com/Wonders/Lia-Fail-2.php

Such stones are very odd in appearance. This is the Black Stone of the Kaaba, which "lives" inside the big black box, and which is encased in a silver frame.

Quote:
The stone itself is a Muslim object of veneration, built into the eastern wall of the Ka'bah (small shrine within the Great Mosque of Mecca) and probably dating from the pre-Islamic religion of the Arabs. It now consists of three large pieces and some fragments, surrounded by a stone ring and held together with a silver band. According to popular Islamic legend, the stone was given to Adam on his fall from paradise and was originally white but has become black by absorbing the sins of the thousands of pilgrims who have kissed and touched it. In 930 it was carried away by the fanatics of the Qarmatian sect and held for ransom for about 20 years.

During performing the Hajj ceremony a Muslim walks seven times around the Ka'bah (or Kaaba), a shrine within the Mosque and then he or she kisses and touch the Black Stone. Therefore, it is very much an integral part of the Hajj ceremony.

Perhaps the most exalted rock in every sense is the Black Stone of the Kaaba, a dark boulder set in gold in the outer wall of Islam's holiest shrine, the Kaaba, in Mecca. Muslim sites make it clear that the Black Stone is not worshipped and not considered holy in itself. It's merely a much-loved marker, the "official" starting point of the walk around the Kaaba that forms the core of the holy pilgrimage called the hajj. There was a period of time when the Black Stone was taken away, for instance, and the hajj was not affected. This is a more modern viewpoint than the Scots', I think.

The Black Stone has just one legend, and it's a good one. It's said that when Abraham and Ishmael, patriarchs of the Arab people, were building the Kaaba, the stone was delivered to them by an angel from heaven. That story would suggest that the Black Stone is a meteorite, and indeed meteorites have been prized and revered by many different peoples around the world. But I wouldn't ask any Muslim, even a geologist, to waste one second of their hajj examining the stone to satisfy my curiosity.

http://www.geocities.ws/khola_mon/myth/Blackstone.html

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 pm 

bugsbunny wrote:

That's what I heard too, which would make it older than the solar system if you could date it. Mind you, you'd have to find it first. The story I heard was that the Abbot of Scone had enough time to switch stones. The cludgie stone, now in Edinburgh Castle, was just a drain cover they grabbed. It's metal handle is still present. The real stone was spirited away, initially to a local cave and latterly to Finlaggan on Islay. However, where it went after that is either unknown, or they're not letting on. Significantly though, it is likely to be still here, maybe buried in Scotland's sacred soil.

Who cares what they display in Edinburgh!

Braveheart1314 wrote:
Another missing object that was stolen is the black rood. Would be good to find that aswell.

Longshanks knew what he was doing when he took away the National records and archives. I'd say they'd be important, but apparently they were destroyed in a fire in Westminster a few centuries later (?)

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 pm 

Read Nigel Tranter's "The Stone" (mentioned it before, but worth repeating)

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:56 am 

I have just read Ian Hamiltons book the stone of destiny, it is a great read and tells of how the stone was rescued and taken back to Scotlandby Ian and his friends.It tells of all the planning ,hardship that went into the mission!This book is a good book for all Scots to read and I can highly recomend it! :saltire:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:49 am 

One of my mates wrote this, you can also download it free, well worth a read.
http://www.thesonsofscotland.co.uk/rexpictorum.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:50 am 

I have just started to read Ron Henderson's book on the Picts. Will tell you how I get on when I finish it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 am 

I have read up to, but so far not including, the Epilogue. Tell your friend Ron that he is a wonderful teacher of Pictish history as well as a Stonemason.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:16 pm 

I will Stephen, he'll appreciate your kind words!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 pm 

Pleased to say that Glamrock introduced me to him at an event last year. After spending over an hour speaking with him, I was impressed with his ideas & his work. A true patriot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:58 am 

The words of that song "The Wee Majik Stane" are always at the back of my mind !