Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:43 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

Got a guy from the Sunday Post who is keen on doing a story so will keep you informed if its to be printed but fingers crossed as he seemed really keen

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:16 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

Its in the Sunday Post tomorrow Page 7 :clap:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:13 pm 

Sweet, if its no online can anybody scan it in and post on here, so us poor unfortunates can see it

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:20 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

Tried to go on line on the Sunday post but cant see the article so if someone can scan it that would be good as not got a clue how to do that
Godd article though and hopefully people might start to get up of there arse and get this sorted, ie MSP s as this is a importmant bit of Scottish History and the people of Scotland deserve to be able to see it

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:05 pm 
Aye, good article in the Sunday Post. I can't scan it either unfortunately.
They are not going to give this letter up easily. I would urge everyone to contact their MSP, and quote the Sunday Post story. Tell them you want to see this letter back in Scotland.

You can also contact Linda Fabiani MSP, who is the Culture Secretary.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:07 pm 

i contacted the Scots Magazine to ask if they would continue to follow the story of the Safe conduct letter.They said ;if this letter proves to be as significant as some suggest,it will hopefully be displayed then we will inform our readers. :wtf:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:55 pm 

Cheers for that JS...much appreciated :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:43 pm 

ill get a few letters written be

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:11 pm 

Im sure most of you will know that there has been a move to ask for the Lubeck Letter issued by Wallace to be returned to Scotland. I have been asked about this from several quarters, and i post a little of that correspondence here just to keep everyone in the loop, and to let folk know my own particular "take" on this.
If a member of Siol was to receive a letter from, say, Pamela Anderson, you would think of that as being your own personal property. Therefore, as the letter was sent to Lubeck, it is rightfully their property, but the "Safe Conduct" being taken from Scotland, is a different matter.

And, as stated, Lubeck have looked after their letter admirably.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx has passed on your e-mail asking for comments on Murdo Fraser MSP`s proposal to have the Lubeck Letter returned to Scotland .

So much rubbish is spoken about or attributed to Wallace , from Hollywood`s " Braveheart", to the lauded historian , Michael Schamer`s retort that he was " a mere brigand ", that any positive steps to publicise Wallace`s statesman like activities whilst Guardian of Scotland is to be supported .

I cannot get into the Hollyrood system right now to check the exact wording of Mr Fraser`s proposal but if he wishes the Scottish Goverment or the National Museum of Scotland to request that the Lubeck City provide on loan the " Lubeck Letter" as part of a National exhibition of what little hard evidence is left of Wallace`s activities , then that should receive everyone`s support .

It would not be fair however , if Mr Fraser`s intention is to request the permenant repatriation of this letter from Lubeck , particularily since for the last 700 years they , who have no vested interest in Scotland`s Guardian , have looked after this priceless document , whilst we , until fairly recently , have skipped parts of the little which were under our guardianship ( Check with Dr Elspeth King at Stirling Smith Art Gallery & Museum )

The National Museum of Scotland , I believe do have a copy , albeit original , of the Lubeck Letter . When the grand extension to the Museum was opened a couple or three years ago there were some articles/correspondence in the press as to why , when displaying all the artifacts , telling the story of this land from the Bronze Age , they did not see fit to display the only real material evidence we hold on Wallace .

The Directors response was something along the lines that " he did not regard the letter as having sufficient merit " ........!!!!!!! .

There are some other `Wallace` artifacts held in English Musems/libraries , letters to/from the French Court .

I think there would undoubtedly be great support for Murdo Fraser if he were to include these items in his bill for repatriation .

Suggest you contact David Ross , historian & convener of the Society of William Wallace , he has raised this matter previously & would doubtless give you an interesting & informed response .

Below is a retort from me to the above letter.

Hi xxxx.
As regards your mail. The Lubeck letter does indeed, belong to Lubeck. Wallace sent it to them, and so although they may be willing to "give it back", it is at the end of the day, their possession.
The Museum of Scotland does not have a "copy" as far as i know.
The actual Lubeck letter was loaned to them a few years back, and they put it on display, along with Wallace's trial notes from London in 1305 (the actual ones that the scribe wrote as Wallace faced his accusers), and also with the letter known as the "safe conduct" from the King of France. (this letter should be in Scotland, as it was taken from Wallace when he was captured, and is currently kept at the Records Office in Kew, but as it was taken from Scotland, there is no doubt it is a "Scottish" possession).
So the Lubeck letter has been on show here before. I know, as i travelled through to Edinburgh several times to view it, along with the other Wallace artefacts.
I hope this information is of some help, but basically at the end of the day it is the goodwill of the good people of Lubeck, who you rightly point out have looked after this document so well, that is paramount in this matter,
regards,
xxxxxxxx

I have also spoken to the press today, explaining the above, and saying that there should be more of a concentration on the "Safe Conduct" as it is a Scottish document that should be kept in Scotland for the Scottish people to view.
Not complaining that all this stushie is making the papers right enough, as it keeps the pot boiling merrily along.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:29 am 
Prospect
Prospect

Small article today about this in the daily retard. Unionism for dummies that bloody paper. :evil:

But a least what we want is gettin a shout.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:10 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

glesga patriot wrote:
Small article today about this in the daily retard. Unionism for dummies that bloody paper. :evil:

But a least what we want is gettin a shout.

seen that today but cant work out why they never mentioned the safe Conduct letter, but at least the record are publishing it, which to me is scary, funny how they wanted nothing to do with the safe conduct letter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:52 pm 

there was also a piece about it on teletext today

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:05 pm 

Its still there "Regional" :roll: news...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:04 pm 

There was a big article in the Daily Mail yesterday. Saw it in Rebel Highlander's house. I cant do that pasting thing, (at least when it comes to photos) but if anyone else can it would be appreciated.
It was a half page job, with a pic of Wallace and one of the Lubeck Letter, and the story concentrated on trying to get the Lubeck letter back to Scotland.
No mention of the "safe conduct", but the pot boils along

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:39 pm 

This is the link to the Rectum's waffle:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/12/27/bid-launched-to-bring-william-wallace-letter-back-to-scotland-86908-20997709/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:06 am 

There was a big article on the Lubeck letter in the P&J & how some tory wants it back in Scotland, it also mentioned some Ross guy wanting the safe conduct letter back.. :???:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:27 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

Mr miles wrote:
There was a big article on the Lubeck letter in the P&J & how some tory wants it back in Scotland, it also mentioned some Ross guy wanting the safe conduct letter back.. :???:

No metion of the wee skinny guy wanting it back then :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 am 

There was a mention of you GJ, something about "shoot to kill on sight" and a photo of you. But luckily it was a naked photo, so nobody will be looking at your face.
(I think you have got away with it again!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:21 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

Just to keep people up to speed, Alex Salmonds secretary is now on the case, so fingers crossed we get somewhere now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next