Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Daily Mail
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 pm 

Did anyone see the front page of yesterday's "Scottish" Daily Mail?

I don't have the full text but under its ‘1,000 days to save the union’ heading, it firmly nailed its colours to the mast saying that separatism would be disastrous for the UK. It had the subheading "Comment" to reassure us it hadn't lost all perspective on reality as a "newspaper" and railed against Salmond and Independence.

It said “Nobody doubts his sincerity but those beliefs do not stack up against the reality of a separate Scotland.

“Indeed, the First Minister’s communication skills are a threat to our prospects because of his ability to paint a lunar landscape in the golden imagery of a sunrise.

“His intentions are idealistic but the end result would be catastrophic.

“The Scottish Daily Mail, recognising the disastrous consequence of the break-up of the UK, will campaign tirelessly until the referendum in autumn 2014 to expose the smoke-and-mirrors propaganda of the separatists and to put before our readers the economic and constitutional facts.”

This unionist rag knows no bounds to its hypocrisy, pointing the finger at Salmond for presenting his own facts and statistics when this paper will do nothing else but present its own one-sided facts and statistics to scare the people of Scotland away from taking control of their own destiny and resources.

These papers and their editors are total scum. Nationalists everywhere should be prepared for an onslaught from this rag and all the other papers. The only comfort I can take is that evidence shows people will make up their own mind and do not listen to these comics anymore. :mad:

I am now convinced that Scotsmen must decide in the near future whether they wish to be citizens of a free country or citizens of a rather stale music-hall joke. And I am quite certain that no middle course is possible.
Archibald G Macdonell (1896-1941)

Post subject: Re: Daily Mail
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:25 am 

Does any1 know the figures for the readers of that rag in our land because I think it will be about the size of camerons tadger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm 

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opini ... 05690.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 pm 

dotcomnorrie wrote:
Does any1 know the figures for the readers of that rag in our land because I think it will be about the size of camerons tadger

Quite a few middle class women read it.

Not everyone who reads it takes it seriously.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:42 pm 

I see Michelle Mone is throwing her tuppence in again. :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16779891

Quote:
Scottish independence: Michelle Mone threatens to leave Scotland

Scottish lingerie tycoon Michelle Mone has threatened to move to England if Scotland votes for independence.

Michelle Mone said she would take her business to London in the event of a "Yes" vote in the 2014 referendum on Scottish independence.

She told the Sunday Times she feels Scotland could not survive on its own as "everything would go up".

First Minister Alex Salmond said that under independence business tax would be lowered.

He also pointed out to the BBC's Andrew Marr show that Ms Mone had made a similar threat before the 2007 Scottish elections.

Ms Mone, co-owner of MJM International and creator of lingerie brand Ultimo told the Sunday Times: "I will move my business and I will move personally.

"I don't think we can survive on our own and I think it would be really bad for business.

"Everything would go up and I really don't think we need it at the moment."

Ms Mone, from Glasgow, who was awarded an OBE in 2010, ranks among the UK's most successful businesswomen.

Her comments follow concerns raised by other Scottish business figures, including Boyd Tunnock, managing director of Tunnock's, that delay in posing the referendum question will harm the economy.

In his response, Mr Salmond said: "Michelle's concerns seem to be predicated on the idea that we'd put tax up.

"In fact, our strategy is to lower business tax which I think will be very helpful, not just at persuading Michelle Mone to stay but attracting lots of other businesses to Scotland."

When asked about whether Mr Salmond would want to see a second question on the ballot paper on whether there should be more powers for the Scottish Parliament, sometimes known as devolution max, he said he would "listen to the voices in Scotland".

"If the demand for fiscal autonomy is there it would only be democratic and fair to allow that question," he said.

He added that Prime Minister David Cameron "would do well to listen to the voice of the people".

When asked about the Royal Bank of Scotland awarding its chief executive Stephen Hester almost £1m as a bonus, Mr Salmond called for discipline on pay levels across the public sector, and blamed Labour and the Conservatives for not taking action.

I am now convinced that Scotsmen must decide in the near future whether they wish to be citizens of a free country or citizens of a rather stale music-hall joke. And I am quite certain that no middle course is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:32 am 

So Michelle Mone got hes knickers in a twist over independence again,it not like we were womans libers and burning our bras after independence! :smile: :razz: :saltire:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 pm 

Since less than 3% of her workforce is actually based in Scotland, and the remainder work in sweatshops in the Far East, perhaps she would be better employed looking at the working conditions and political freedoms of the vast majority of her workers than railing against actual democracy in her home country.... Frankly, if she upped and left - who would notice?

Or care?

I'm sure that the talented workforce she has in Scotland would be more than capable of getting together and starting a Scottish business with a bit more ethical creed and principles than this Tory-minded moron. She's the brassiere world's equivalent of a banker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 am 

the last time she came out with her shit I proposed online in a national newspaper that I would buy the cow a one way ticket and she hasnt taken me up on the offer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:44 pm 

Total irony here eh?When the SNP won in 2007 she came out wi the same shite,also the same day that she spouts her crap about takin the high road cos independance will damage her business prospects,what happens,Samsung declare the creation of 500 jobs in fife,you couldny write it!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm 

Non-story.

Mone has always been a major Labour donor in Scotland, and most of her tacky and smutty clothing is made overseas anyway, so there's no job loss there. At least not til she swops some sweat shop for one in another third world nation.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 pm 

I see Alan Cochrane in the Scottish Daily Telegraph is more bitter and vindictive than ever. He was spewing out his usual unionist bile the other day calling the SNP MSPs "uber-creeps" (like Labour and the Tories aren't) and saying Salmond is no statesman. I can only ever read half his article before turning the page.

On a more positive note, the Daily Express was putting support for independence at 51%.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 am 

Alan Cochrane does not too bad for a Canadian who knows more about penguins than he does about politics ,who even had a show on in Germany in which he got banned from due to something dodgy with kids or animals! :bribe:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 pm 

Hi All,

When Michelle Mone put on a bra and a woolly hat, she covers three tits. Her boobs and her self.

Stephen.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 pm 

The Laird wrote:
‘1,000 days to save the union’

Only 1000 sleeps 'till Independence Day!

:)

Don't get too upset at the Daily Mail. Most of the people who read it will have died of natural causes by 2014!

The Fifer wrote:
Alan Cochrane does not too bad for a Canadian who knows more about penguins than he does about politics ,who even had a show on in Germany in which he got banned from due to something dodgy with kids or animals!

You wouldn't by any chance have a link for that?

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:50 am 

Found it on google will try and find link for you! :mrmiles:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:25 am 

Found info on his facebook page he used to host an Estonian and Latvian tv show look for a picture of a man with a beard!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:41 pm 

I am AMAZED at the number of copies of the "Scottish" Daily mail sold on Bute wherfe I now live. And it is not just "Soothmoother Settlers" !