Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New divisions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:04 pm 

This is gut feeling; not scientific study. My worm's eye view has it that in recent years the question of Independence has caused a marked reduction in sectarianism, class tension and even anti-Englishness. ("Yes" hereabouts has ~ 25% English membership.)

However, a new gender divide seems to have opened up. Women seem much less enthusiastic about the prospect of Indie.

Do we need to organise a Royal Wedding on the day of the Referendum so that they all stay at home, glued to the box?

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

Post subject: Re: New divisions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 pm 

Maybe the deiberate use of words like separation have a subconscious effect.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 pm 

A lot of scottish woman are not as passionate about alba gaining independence as men are,there are a few reasons for this,but the biggest factor,surprise,surprise is money,i've heard a few females say that their scared they'd be worse off,i've put a few ladies right on the fiscal side of things,its defo something the yes campaign need to really concentrate on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:32 am 

I am not sure that I like the "Accountant's Approach to Independence". Do we really want to get people to vote YES because they think they will be £100 a year better off ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 pm 

Heart not head will decide the result.

In my view the economic argument has been used too much over the others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:55 pm 

Maybe we should give out membership of Gala/Mecca Bingo, free for a month, a free bikini wax and a box of Special K to entice the ladies? On a serious note, I too have noticed this. I don't know the answer to this? Why should women not feel pride about their country? Or is it just Scotland? I heard many people say they love Scotland, but not Independence? Once upon a time I would let them know what I thought of them, now I just walk away. What's the point?

Even among some fellow Scottish Nationalists, it's becoming a thought crime to love your country, to stand up to English/Ulster/Scottish Unionists and stand your ground. You mention to them to mind their own business and some patriots take their side and call you a racist. It's getting to the stage you have to apologize for giving a flying fuck about your own country and her future. One thing's for sure folks, you can be as Politically Correct all you want, and swallow your pride when Billy from Belfast, Norman from Newcastle, Manfred from Manchester and Larry from London spout their Unionist Propaganda. BUT IF THEY WIN THROUGH US NOT DRAWING A LINE AND SAYING, THUS FAR AND NO FURTHER, then we might as well wipe our arse on our beloved flag. Because by not standing our ground, we have blown it big time, and squandered the only chance we will EVER GET, of freeing our beloved country of the stain of 300 years of blood. dripping from the Butcher's Apron.

Stephen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:35 pm 

The way a lot of groups, including Siol, the SRSM and Celtic League are conducted are very male orientated, and there are often very masculine fall outs, squabbles, threats, arguments etc. However Scottish nationalism has never been short of notable females such as Wendy Wood, Helen Cruickshank and the lady who helped take the Stone (name escapes me just now). A woman also set up New Scots for Indy, and Elaine C. Smith is probably one of the most vocal celebrities on this subject.

The SNP has had lot of prominent female members - MacDonald, Ewing (x2), Gillies - but never a female leader. I suspect Nicola is being groomed for this role, but it is significant. This constituency was won by a man, but it was a particular woman who shifted the SNP from fourth to second place and transformed the situation through years of hard work.

I also wonder if it's partly because the Record, Mail & Express are the most against independence but have significant female readership and columnists.