Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 pm 

I have to confess to not having been a great fan of Pantone 300 when it was first made the official colour. Darker shades always seemed more classy, especially if they held just a hint of purple. Today however, I had a Damascus moment. I had bought my tammie http://shop.yesscotland.net/yes-beanie-hat and put it on unthinkingly before setting out with the rest of YES Stewartry this morning. I was also wearing a checked shirt but had a YES sachel instead of a sword belt.

Suddenly, I caught sight of myself in a shop window. It was the hat that seized my attention. The colours are exactly those that you see on the paintings. The YES tammie is the blue bonnet reincarnated. Finally, I understand Pantone 300.

Sorry. Guess I'm a bit slow.

Not long after that a very attractive young lady stopped me and enquired as to where I had acquired it. She was trying to convert her mother to The Cause. I do hope she joins!

;)

Later I attempted to deliver our newspaper to a gentleman who informed me that he did not want it as he was "British". I reckon that those who have fixed ideas are a waste of effort; we must focus on the undecided. Kicking up a hornet's nest might be emotionally satisfying but it is tactically insane. So with tongue in cheek and exaggerated politeness I apologised to him and said that we would endeavour not to leaflet or trouble him again.

About quarter of an hour later he reappeared, having chased us down the street to say that he had reconsidered and could he have a newspaper too, please.

:)

The best bit though was when we came across a couple of posties doing their rounds. I have developed the greatest of respect for postmen since this campaign began. I have lost weight and am a lot fitter than usual. Even tonight I have sore bones and a rather pleasant endorphin-high from all the exercise.

Anyway, we exchanged pleasantries with the posties who initially seemed quite downtrodden with low morale. When they learned what we were about though, one of them came over and seized a pile of newspapers. His demeanour immediately improved. His unenthusiastic shuffle became a proud stegg and for a time we had an extra member, delivering for Scotland but with the professional ease of a veteran.

Guess he isn't a fan of privatisation.

Looking forward to the next event.

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:43 pm 

:clap: Get wired in. I've found that the McCrone leaflets Siol have been having printed and distributed are having a pretty positive effect - especially when people stop and ask you what it's all about, and go off clutching the leaflets to do a bit of research on their own - which weighs much more mightily than just being told what to think!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 pm 

Aye posting the YES papers has been a blast,me and ma laddie have been busy in ma neck of the woods too,only had one guy so far who said he didny want one,evertime a paper go's thru a letterbox,its like dropping leaflets of truth thru there doors!!! :saltire: !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 pm 

I've always preferred Pantone 300 for our flag. It's more cheerful, and we need cheer, and positivism, not doom and gloom and defeatism, IMHO.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:51 pm 

lothian lion wrote:
me and ma laddie

Have you heard about YES Clydesdale? Leafletters by the busload and not just at the weekend. They are reported to have superb organisation too; like the rest of us should go spend time with them just to learn new techniques.

YES Dumfries & Galloway was too big and unwieldy. We had to sub-split it.

Then there was YES Newton Stewart who had leafletted the town six times before someone suggested to them that they might want to go help other areas.

Strangely, these stories have not featured on "Reporting Scotshire".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 am 

Delighted to hear it, Galloway is knife edge, Dumfriesshire more so (can we abolish D+G post indy? Return it to old boundaries like Aberdeenshire etc)

Is that humungous BA still in that window near the bridge in Newton Stewart? It was there in October.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:59 pm 

This is the most Unionist part of the mainland for sure.

The best boundaries are where the hills come down to the sea, splitting us up into neat compartments.

Haven't been to N.S. in daylight for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 pm 

I take it Talorgan, that D&Gs proximity to NI dosny help the cause,i was in Newton Stewart last summer on holiday nearby,came across a couple of ladz on the main street,one wearing the "sass"top,the other lad had the "NI" top on,thought to myself "what the F..k is all that about!!! Fair play and Well done to yourself Talorgan and all the other Nationalists down there spreading the word,whether there posting YES papers,chapping on doors etc or getting up to more cloak and dagger stuff in the name of Scotland :secret:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 am 

The Borders and North Lanarkshire are more unionist IMHO. Galloway has long been an SNP marginal. I met a number of indy voters in Wigtown in October in the pub, as well as unionists. One of the pubs - Wigtown Ploughman? - had had union jack placemats... apparently nats defaced/stole them, and Brits found them disrespectful.

Not sure the NI thing is that important - Stranraer seems to have that element. but North Ayrshire and Central Belt are much, much more sectarian.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:07 pm 

Good to hear Galloways not to bad SR,with the obvious exception of Stranraer,its one of my fave parts of Scotland,yeah I know what u mean about lanarkshire and the central belt,i stay on the western edge of w.lothian,its a unionist cesspit!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:11 pm 

Today was much less exciting but we are all clearly much fitter than six months ago. I jumped over a wall I would never have attempted then. Not only did I land upright but nothing broke or was even strained. This is despite a rucksack full of newspapers. We no longer need coats, despite the cold. The group leader has lost another 5 Kg despite giving up cigarettes and the Bionic Octogenarian looks about 60. We met a Bitter Together supporter who accused us of being a "Bunch of Weans" so clearly our youthful vigour is obvious to others. The house-count-per-sesh is becoming impressive. Even Royal Mail would be impressed.

Not sure I agree that North Lanarkshire is more Onionist. The problem down here is the number of retirees from Ingoshetia. Mind you, some of them convert. In fact 25 - 30% of the group is new-Scot of English decent. So you see, on the YES side of the great divide, not only has sectarianism died a death but Anglophobia is being rolled back too.

Fingers crossed that Tuesday puts a sabre-toothed tiger among the pigeons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:38 am 

Involved with events etc.with yes dumfries message is getting out there

'S cha do sheall iad air gunna.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:56 pm 

Nothing too exciting to report, although we'll have done another couple of thousand houses since I last wrote.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:55 pm 

Discovered this morning that the blue bunnet is a lot more waterproof than you'd think. Despite the rain a large chunk of Kirkcudbright is now reading the second YES newspaper.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 am 

Aberdeen has been slow to pick up support but today was my best day ever at the Yes stall with many people signing ,asking questions and most important giving us donations!Looks like it must be the Osborne factor! :dance: :saltire:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:18 pm 

We now have a well-honed machine. Put some newspapers under my arm and point me down a street ...