Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:42 pm 

Hello there... I have recently joined this forum of which I am grateful to be given the opportunity.... so.... my first inquiry is for a Gaelic translation of the term... " unionist scum"... is there a Gaelic version that I can print onto a T shirt & various other bits... ??? I already have """" Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach """"... which I have been told means.......""" I am not british""""
I do not speak Gaelic... & unfortunately am extremely limited on time so... please forgive my ignorance on this... there is no offence intended to anyone on this forum... Thank You...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:48 pm 

Unfortunately the request for a translation was missed by the novice Gaelic speaker who is clearly an enthusiast in correct grammar usage ... as he kindly reminded me of those who continually troll these sites... but regretfully could not provide a translation of " unionist scum "... so can I ask again if there is something within the Gael language that can capture the spirit of my request....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:56 pm 

I make that:

"salachar aonadair"

http://learngaelic.net/dictionary/

... but wait for an expert to show up before embarking on any expensive projects.

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm 

I thank you for the " guess " ... but I have since been informed that """""" aonadair barrag """"" is apt?... any feelings on that translation... ???.. also... as the intended irritants will be like me .... not understanding of the Gaelic.... I will be happy to know that I am insulting them whatever the term is.... in some ways it's a bit petty... but living in the occupied part of Vichy Scotland... where there are no railway shunting yards equivalent of Caen (namely down to no rail network)... available for sabotage as the loyal French .... then cheap printed Tees will have to do...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:22 pm 

"Otrachas aonachdach" is what I'd go for.

"Scum" is difficult to translate, as properly it refers to that sludge at the top/bottom of your pond, and that doesn't really work as an insult. "Otrachas" means sewage - probably works here.

"Salachar" is good. Means dirt.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:26 pm 

Thank you Scottish Republican....