Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:26 am 

Hi Folks,

When will the BBC stop pandering towards this old swine and bar him from BBC programmes? :gheyfight:

This is cut and paste from the Press Association. :axeattack:

Starkey compares Salmond to Hitler :ranting:

A popular historian has been condemned for comparing Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond to Adolf Hitler.
Dr David Starkey told an audience convened by centre-right think tank The Bow Group that Mr Salmond is a "Caledonian Hitler".
According to the Huffington Post website, Mr Starkey said: "If you think about it, Alex Salmond is a democratic Caledonian Hitler, although some would say Hitler was more democratically elected. (For him) the English, like the Jews, are everywhere."
Bow Group council member Nic Conner, who attended the event, confirmed the comments, although he maintained that they had been taken out of context. He said: "Dr Starkey began by questioning some of the myths surrounding Alex Salmond: the political myth that he is one of the greatest political leaders of our time when what he has done is all a trick, tapping into nationalism and the idea of a common enemy, in this case the English. He then compared this, somewhat unfortunately, to Hitler."
Mr Conner said it was a "balanced meeting" with speeches by Shami Chakrabarti, director of civil rights group Liberty, and Dr Kwasi Kwarteng MP. The Bow Group exists to develop policy, publish research and stimulate debate within the Conservative Party.
Its events are publicised, although a spokesman said they are normally held under the "Chatham House Rule" where discussions are confidential to encourage openness and debate. However, the spokesman said this is becoming increasingly redundant in the age of Twitter and social networking.
A spokesman for the First Minister said: "This offensive nonsense is actually an insult to Scotland and to the people of Scotland. David Starkey is getting dafter and crankier with every passing day. His litany of offensive comments are designed only to provoke outrage, and thankfully England is blessed with a great number of far better historians than him. We can count ourselves lucky that David Starkey is nowhere near the teaching of history in Scottish schools. In the words of Robert Burns, Scots will 'look and laugh' at this nonsense."
Scottish Conservative deputy leader Jackson Carlaw said: "This is a man who makes his living by making insults and building up his own notoriety. Every time he opens his mouth he causes offence to someone."
Scottish Liberal Democrat leader Willie Rennie said: "If this is the sort of trash he is going to serve up, then broadcasters, in particular, should make sure they don't put him on any TV programmes from now on. He can't be taken seriously as any sort of academic."
Scottish Green Party co-convenor Patrick Harvie said: "Starkey's latest infantile comments are among the most absurd I've ever heard - and I've sat through his Question Time performances."

What an old prick. Maybe he needs a good old boot up the arse, but maybe that would be a nice warm gesture to him, the bitter Old Queen. :flamer:

Stephen. :saltire:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:49 pm 

Aye, he got the expected reaction from us.

However, he also got a reaction from other people. A Labour spokesman said that his comments were "wayward" and stupid, and Willie Rennie of the Lib Dems said that Starkey should be kept off the telly!

Apparently there were titters and gasps from the Tory audience too.

So, I think he went a bit over board here, and even pissed off Scottish unionists, including Tories, Labour and Lib Dem.

If he achieved that, then it backfired on him.

See here, "Playing the Nazi card" ->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:26 am 

Bit of an own goal for an "historian" whose star has very much been in the eclipse for a number of years now, and whose only real hope of resurrecting what little fame he had gained is to attempt to stir up some controversy. This one appears to have backfired a little, but got him some press attention - and for someone whose speciality is Tudor England (which nobody much gives a damn about) I expect he's quite happy. No research required, a couple of phone calls, and his name's in the papers... Expect him on some celebrity pish courtesy of the BBC shortly...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 pm 

He's doing a royal something-or-other. Heard it on the radio.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:38 pm 

Did he not make some comment a while back about Scottish history being irrelevant? Apparently he called Scotland, Wales and Ireland "feeble little nations". Just another English Nationalist it would appear.

I am now convinced that Scotsmen must decide in the near future whether they wish to be citizens of a free country or citizens of a rather stale music-hall joke. And I am quite certain that no middle course is possible.
Archibald G Macdonell (1896-1941)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am 

I believe it was somewhere in England last year during Question Time? Most of the audience booed him. How long will that take to change during the run up to the Independence Referendum? BTW The Cross of St. George is getting more paranoid as time goes on. :gheyfight: A taste of things to come?

Stephen. :saltire:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 pm 

It's pissed off unionists and English people as well, so I wouldn't get too upset.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 am 

Aye, he's a complete irrelevance. Some people just make controversial statements to attract attention - someone called AA Gill just got a pile of abuse for remarks about the Roman historian Mary Beard. He's highly qualified to do so, of course. He's a food critic... someone who writes about pie and chips criticising an eminent historian - oh well, it got him in the papers...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 pm 

AA Gill's always making stupid comments. He's another one of these part-Scottish anti-Scots, like Kelvin MacKenzie. Mind you Mary Beard's no oil painting... nor indeed is David Starkey or Michael Fry! (The latter makes me look like a fitness guru)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:41 pm 

I don't watch Mary Beard to ogle at her, I watch her programmes because she's intelligent, good on her subject, highly opinionated, and doesn't give a shit what people think of her!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 pm 

That's fair enough. I think the problem with TV, music and even actors is that they all have to have beauty at the expense of quality. Think of how many decent actors, singers etc have all been pug ugly. Nat King Cole was an ugly bugger, but had a beautiful voice. Neither Humphrey Bogart nor Kathy Bates are particularly attractive IMHO, but have both put in amazing performances on screen.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:03 am 

People should always be judged on their talent, regardless of how they look. Those obsessed with their appearance are often vacuous airheads, with nothing to contribute. Which is, I suppose, how many of them end up on television...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:08 pm 

A Jolly Sailor wrote:
Which is, I suppose, how many of them end up on television...

Television acts as a magnet for said vacuous airheads and narcissists.

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach