Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:18 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

This is a thread similar to places to avoid, but instead product related

Daily Mirror
OK Magazine
Hello Magazine

They were seen to be sponsoring the Union flags during the Jubilee celebrations

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we submit to English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:55 pm 

Jesus, just about every single newspaper and supermarket.

Scotmid was about one of the few that seemed to avoid it. Margiotta too in Edinburgh.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:55 am 

Mars Bars for Supporting England, :finger:
Daily Record for obvious reasons, (add just about all rags to that, plus Scotland Today and BBC Reporting Scotland); :deadhorse:
All products grown in England, (especially their "beef"), :madcow:
Trade Unions that keep us down; :brickthrow:
Anyone in the Orange Lodge, Masons, or the Round Table, :ranting:
Michelle fu**ing Mone and her tit company; :axeattack:

I'll think of some more. :grouphug:

Stephen. :saltire:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 am 

bugsbunny wrote:
Masons:

Why Masons?

bugsbunny wrote:
the Round Table:

What's the 'Round Table?'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:15 pm 

Shouldn't the question be what products to support? Seems we're down to Scotts porage oats, and I'm not even sure about them. Most of the big businesses are in on the act...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:00 am 

Hi Daibh,

This is because every single Mason I know, hates the idea of Scottish Independence, :ranter: some even Devolution, and hate the SNP :dunce: and the First Minister especially. :ranting: They are Monarchy daft, :horsekeech: love the Union, :axeattack: and probably think the end of the world was proclaimed on 13th June 2012. :bbros: :violin: They are all Union Men down my way, Ayrshire, so probably West of Scotland if not further afield. Labour/Tory/Liberals to a man. :flamer: Round Table are mainly Pro-Union Tory Businessmen. :gheyfight:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:47 am 
bugsbunny wrote:
Hi Daibh,

This is because every single Mason I know, hates the idea of Scottish Independence,

sorry bugs but yer full of absolute,complete and utter pish.. i personally know many many masons who are very VERY much pro independence, but hey, don't let yer blatant ignorance,assumption,lack of knowledge and sweeping generalisms get in your way!
i bet you believe in all that illuminati bollocks as well

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:27 am 

I can personally vouch for at least 7 close friends who are true Scottish nationalists and masons so bugs where are you getting your info

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:40 am 

Where did I hear this pish? Directly from the mouths of Masons. Everyone I know, family, friends and neighbours who are Masons are Unionists? So why is my Information utter pish Pax? I could show you tons of Masons down this way and not one of them votes SNP. They are all Labour men, and if you are not in the local Labour Party AND the Masons your pretty well fucked. But it's nice to get a very warm reception from you again for simply telling it as it is where I live. Try getting anyone of them to vote SNP? But hey, I'm the bad guy for saying as I see it round my area. It's not the first time I've been set on here for simply commenting on things. Getting a bit cliquish Pax? Well that's the Masons for you as well. It's not what you know, it's who you know, and what you think. Don't think outside the box now?

Stephen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 am 

bugsbunny wrote:
Where did I hear this pish? Directly from the mouths of Masons. Everyone I know, family, friends and neighbours who are Masons are Unionists? So why is my Information utter pish Pax? I could show you tons of Masons down this way and not one of them votes SNP. They are all Labour men, and if you are not in the local Labour Party AND the Masons your pretty well fucked. But it's nice to get a very warm reception from you again for simply telling it as it is where I live. Try getting anyone of them to vote SNP? But hey, I'm the bad guy for saying as I see it round my area. It's not the first time I've been set on here for simply commenting on things. Getting a bit cliquish Pax? Well that's the Masons for you as well. It's not what you know, it's who you know, and what you think. Don't think outside the box now?

Stephen.
Hi Stephen - how are you? Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I also have to concur on your being misinformed, at least, as far as your generalisations are concerned. I do not doubt that you have met Masons in your area who are, for some reason, bent on the continued union. However, as those who posted above in reply to you also state, many do not, embracing instead a passionate anti-union pro-independence stance such as that expounded on these boards; such as myself. As a Freemason of many years I have attended many meetings and functions with various lodges across the country (as well as, on occasion) in England, not once experiencing anything overly unionist (save for the latter instance, in England, where God Save the Queen was sang - a song I sat out on and was not admonished). Again, we all have different experiences. My experience of scottish masonry is one of prominent nationalism and support for independence. Politics are not discussed within a masonic lodge, it should be noted, but that nationalist stance is consensus with a good number of brothers outwith (many of whom are SNP, many of whom I have held company at pro-independence events and marches).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:14 am 
bugsbunny wrote:

Stephen.

i notice you now say just limited to "where you live"

however your sweeping generalisms are still pure shite by tarring all masons with the same brush
and yeah i am a mason from a long line of Ayrshire... yeah AYRSHIRE masons who are and i am not unionists and not a labour supporters and for your information just like Burns himself a mason and a republican.....the chances are that i might well not be the only mason on these forums and i am certainly not the only mason in the pro-independence movement...there are loads of them
here's a wee blatant fact for you.... i personally know of about loads masons from Ayrshire in Ayr,Alloway, Maybole , Irvine , Kilwinning ,Kilmarnock, Beith , Dalmellington ,Girvan , Maidens , Tarbolton, Auchenleck ,Symmington and more..... because i am originally,as i said, from Ayrshire and many are family and friends whom i visit and am in contact with regularly. ALL of them SNP voters and Independence evangelists.
but hey, don't let facts get in the way of your sweeping general-isms eh?
As for thinking outside the box... try it... the fresh air is groovy
and as for clique-ish... nah.... any time i see blatant pish i'll speak up about it and i just have... twice .. in the same thread... on the same subject......
And Daibh is 100% correct, politics as well as religion, are subjects never raised within a masonic building

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:20 pm 

There are a few Masons on this board. (No, I'm not one of them. I was supposed to join when I was 21, but due to various circumstances didn't.)

I suppose it depends what part of Scotland you're from, because some of the Central Belt lodges, especially around West Lothian seem to have a different flavour to them to the rest of the country. Bear in mind that different lodges have different cultures too, and may represent different social classes etc. (Some are very posh, some very much geared to the working man.)

The various Scottish Knights Templar outfits are practically Masonic, and they're nearly all nationalist too.

Quote:
And Daibh is 100% correct, politics as well as religion, are subjects never raised within a masonic building

Not officially, but I'm sure it has come up, somewhere at some place...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:21 pm 
Scottish Republican wrote:

Quote:

Not officially, but I'm sure it has come up, somewhere at some place...

it's a BIG "NO NO" even at the social side of it called the "harmony" which is held after the voodoo :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:01 pm 

But I'm sure "no no"s happen from time to time though. :innocent9:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:02 pm 

Looks like Baxters soup is one to avoid, funding the No campaign

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... r.20723893

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 pm 

Rabb wrote:
Looks like Baxters soup is one to avoid, funding the No campaign

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... r.20723893

The Shardlow thrillers? Who? And a donor of over a hundred thousand?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm 

Looks like his money doesn't com from churning out thrillers.

It's a few years since Call my Bluff was on:

"Adam J. Shardlow is a successful
writer of 'dark' fiction. His work
has been printed around the
world including articles for The
Guardian, The Idler and
Aesthetica. He used to write for the popular BBC comedy quiz
'Call My Bluff.' He has lived in
Italy, New Zealand, India and the
UK. His first novel, The Missing
was published in 2009. He has an
invisible dog called Marlowe"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 pm 

A bit like the nobody who teaches French in St Andrews, but who has been quoted pontificating on Independence... Clutching at straws.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:13 pm 

Scottish Republican wrote:
Shouldn't the question be what products to support? Seems we're down to Scotts porage oats, and I'm not even sure about them. Most of the big businesses are in on the act...

Went to Farmfoods this afternoon. Only one product that I wanted to buy failed the Butcher's Apron Test and had to go back on the shelf. It would probably have been bad for me anyway.

Milk is a persistent problem though. Do farmers have no self-respect?

Presumably you will now tell me bad news about Farmfoods?

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:12 pm 

Have now been to Farmfoods and they are selling Butcher's Apron free Scottish milk!

Hooray!

They don't even have the wee British Farmers "we are closet Unionists but don't tell anyone" labels.

It's the first Scottish milk I've been able to buy in ages.

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach