Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A year to go
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 am 

One week today and we will have only 365 days until the most important vote in over 300 years and our life.

Is anyone else upping their game for the last year of chains and oppression?

:saltire:

Post subject: Re: A year to go
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 pm 

We didnt get a vote 300 years ago

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm 

this is it lads and lassies this is what we started all those years ago by marching, picketing and commemorating. always with the message of independence first. Its almost here now keep he good work up for the yes campaign ,and where possible can you please encourage those that are not SNP to start talking to the press they seem to riding on our shirt tales , I think we need more commitment from the other parties, the labour group appear to be active but not in the media. thoughts anyone

For we have faith in Scotland’s hidden powers, the present’s theirs but all the past and future’s ours."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 pm 

Things are going to have to change to get the message through. Get the message out of the chatrooms and meeting halls and to people who are not political anoraks. Question is, how?

We have to change our tactics. We can predict, at least some of, what will happen:

* Dubious polls will be publicised commissioned by unionists.
* Media will continue to be biased.
* Dirt will be sought, and no doubt some found/made up, on various SNP folk.
* SNLA etc will be wheeled out, along with Peter Dow etc.
* Military jobs will be mentioned, and pensions etc.
* The referendum will probably be interfered with at the polling stage.
* "Oil is running out".
* Sectarianism will be stirred up yet again.
* WWI & II will be invoked.
* Union Jacks will infest English run supermarkets.

The hacking of Yes Scotland's account, and the beating up of an octogenarian prove that the other side can't and won't play nice.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 pm 

Scottish Republican wrote:
Union Jacks will infest English run supermarkets.

1. Are Asda sponsoring the SNP Conference?

2. I ran an errand for an old lady a few weeks ago. This led to my entering a Tesco for the first time in three years (boycotted after they were caught red handed funding the Labour Party). They had Saltires everywhere and were obviously trying to brown nose us.

I bought the one item required by the old lady and left.

3. Is Aldi still the only place you can buy non-Butcher's-Apron milk?

Chan eil mise nam Bhreatannach

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:31 pm 

Aye the Royal Regiment are prepared to enforce a wee bit of bias amongst the troops I think. Two of us (Pipes and Drums) recently had a bit of a bollocking from above. It was all over a picture published in an Army publication with the FM at Bute House after a function we did and the subsequent discussion we had about next year. Both myself and my colleague bein unashamedly Nationalist, we couldn't pass the opportunity to express our excitement and share with him the efforts we have been making trying to bring others on board at home and in Battalion. The rupert in attendance bollocked us outside for "getting political" and then we were in front of the OC the following Monday. There followed a very one sided spiel in orders that week warning everyone not to be pictured, or otherwise found to be actively engaging in political activities whilst in uniform or on duty. Fair enough but I personally don't class a casual conversation with a politician whilst on official duty as engaging in political activity. I've recently left the Army but my colleague has again been put on the naughty step for piping at an SNP do whilst in full battalion rig, something I never got the chance to do myself whilst serving, which is a shame. That is just small scale influence but imagine what is going on throughout the Forces, private organisations etc. Whilst people want and need a lot more information from the Yes campaign, it's great to see the unionists struggle to come up with one coherent, positive argument for renaming in the union. Surely with Call me Dave in the seat there has never been a better time to achieve what generations have fought for. All you old and bold must feel like a wean on Christmas eve :lager:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm 

So the rumours that Bitter Together are going to use the armed forces as leafleters and canvassers are untrue?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm 

Solidarity from our Celtic cousins in Brittany.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:33 am 
NEC Member
NEC Member

From a personal point of view I have never stopped fighting for Independence in some form another ever since I knew it was required. If the Unionist think they can keep Independence from us by using dirty and under handed tactics I am in the frame of mind of doing what ever it takes to oppose the unionists and win freedom. We can only afford to let there be one out come !!

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we submit to English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:27 pm 

Talorgan wrote:
So the rumours that Bitter Together are going to use the armed forces as leafleters and canvassers are untrue?

I can only speak for the RHF from the factory floor and say that I'd be very surprised to see the lads on the street doing anything to promote the No campaign, it wouldn't work because as thick as the management think the lads are, they aren't that thick. That's not to say there won't be a lot of "briefings" before the vote by the Officers and probably even the CO himself "advising" the troops. Just among the Pipes and Drums of the Regiment (for some reason they seem to be more keen to vote than your average squaddie and due to the job have a bit more knowledge and interest in history both Scottish and Regimental) I know that amongst the Pipers in the Highlanders I've yet to meet one lad who'll vote No even the Blue noses. Royal Scots B's have a few lads who almost froth at the mouth in an argument about the union as do the BW, the RHF are more of a mixed bag, there are plenty of the blind Union mob amongst them, and even more who won't vote at all. One of the few units of the British Army where you can walk into one room and hear rule britannia and go next door to hear some Provo tune. Never quite understood how that flies to be honest but there yae go. All that may change of course when fresh young recruits fill the bands, as is happening now with a lot of English voices to be heard in the Piping School just now. I find it strange how some of the Battalions still manage to maintain some traditional views on the matter despite all the years of cross pollination and "modernisation" going on. The latest attempt being to scrap the individual tartans and tunes of the Pipers which date back to the precedent regiments. In effect making it a general pipe brand among all the battalions. Good illustration to what the establishment thinks of Scottish tradition and military identity. For the Highlanders all the Clan tunes will be removed from daily routine,and in RHF there will be no more Scots Wha Hae etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 pm 

Interesting!

Thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm 

Fusileer I find your post very interesting, and I doubt you are alone, but remember to tread carefully, at least until you leave the Brit Army...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 pm 

Scottish Republican wrote:
Fusileer I find your post very interesting, and I doubt you are alone, but remember to tread carefully, at least until you leave the Brit Army...

No to worry S R, I broke free from the job in July just keep my hand in with the Piping community there. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 pm 

That's good to hear.