Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 pm 

Dear Scots,

Perhaps you remember me, especially for my rally supporting Scottish Independence:

https://www.facebook.com/OTAMAH/media_s ... 207&type=3

Now Ukraine experiences very hard times. The criminal and bloody regime is fighting against Ukrainian people, against Ukrainian independence in general. Russian Empire is still the main evil on the planet. Ukrainian people, who protest against criminal power, and is gathering by millions on the squares of Ukrainian cities in peacefull demontartions and protests, are not only ignored in their rights, but brutally exterminated. The regime is killing our protesters - there are 5 victims already, and hundreds of wounded. They shoot to doctors, journalists, peacefull people. They are totally ignoring Western values and slithering to North Korean values.

PLEASE SUPPORT UKRAINIAN PEOPLE IN THEIR STRUGGLE AGAINST CRIMINAL BLOODY FASCIST REGIME FOR BEING EUROPEAN NATION!

Yours,
Ceannard.

Saor Alba! Saor Ukraina!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:12 pm 

7 PERSONS KILLED ALREADY!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:14 pm 

My facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/OTAMAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:01 pm 

The Eu should immediatly reverse long-period-visa of the committers and freeze the funds of their bank-accounts. That seems to be the only language they understand.

Escalation in Kyiv. The regime exacerbates the conflict, at least seven dead demonstrators, two of them shot by snipers. Who actually is shooting is not clear yet. Cruel persecution of demonstrants is partly viewable on Live-Tickers. Rumours say, that already hundreds of Russian FSB-Agents are active in Kyiv; for sure they not on the side of the pro-European citizens. The EU should immediatly reverse long-period-visa of the commiters and freeze the funds of their bank-accounts. That seems to be the only language they understand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:59 pm 

Ukraine police tortures people! A few hours ago a court released on bail 17-year old Mihail Niskoguz, who was detained at Grushevskogo Street, upon guarantee / at the responsibility of the national MP Irina Seh. What he told me threw me into a cold sweat. He said he was seized by the Kharkiv Berkut, by order of Major Vasylenko. He was forced to undress, sing the national anthem and walk naked between formations as they beat him. Also thy forced a knife in his anus and cut him. His press conference should be held tomorrow. God help us!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 pm 

29 Incredible Pictures Of Kiev Transformed Into A Warzone

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01 ... 45476.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm 

Dear friends, please support Ukrainian people in their fight for human rights and independence!

RIOT POLICE is kidnapping people in the streets of Kyiv and - ATTENTION - in the hospitals, when wounded and helpless protesters are left with the doctors. They are taken by cars with no license plates, tortured and then taken to police offices for criminal case fabrication. No its not a Lynch+Hitchcock+Tarantino cooperation: its a modern day Ukraine

Completely wild, illogical and provocative actions by the Ukrainian Government in recent weeks - leading every time to an escalation of a calming conflict - only prove that yanukovych does not control the situation and it is done to make his position ever less stable. This third force is interested in having Ukrainian institutions destabilized, enhance hatred between East and West (recent abduction of two protesters, of which one from Kyiv was released and another from Lviv murdered; there are news on several policemen shot by snipers, one of most famous Russian journalists releases on youtube a video where he says "we should not support a weak yanukovych", etc) and push the protesters to use firearms (i.e. start the civil war). Once the civil war starts, the country will merge in chaos and become super vulnerable: a perfect condition to bring in the "peace-making" military force from the East. We should keep cool - and resist any armed conflict BY ANY MEANS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 pm 

Dear friends, it appears more than strange that no one has even thrown a word in support. You. Proud and brave descendants of William Wallace... And I have been supporting your movement to Scottish Independence here, in Ukraine, for so many years... Indeed... strange world...

"Who is fighting in the streets of Kyiv? Radicals? Nationalists?

No. This is a war of the middle classes and civil society, freelancers, journalists, civic organizations, IT workers, artists, students and the elderly, all of whom have nothing to lose. Kyiv Euromaidan is a sort of local internal emigration from the totally corrupt political and economic system.

What do people want and what they realistically can get?

The people of Ukraine wants freedom. It's political liberties (freedom of assembly, of speech, of conscience, from discrimination and so on), freedom from Russia and from the government by oligarchic family clans, which is the essence of the current government in Ukraine. The number of people who are ready to die for this grows as each day passes.

What do these protests mean to those Ukrianians, who are not in the streets?

It's a final battle for the independence of Ukraine and for the democratic freedoms. Until today, the Ukrainian society has not witnessed such resolve and determination to fight since 1918 [the Ukrainian Revolution after World War I]. Presently, all protesters clearly see the direct influence of Russia behind the actions of the Ukrainian government and are within their rights to declare that the Independence of Ukraine is at stake. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25868765

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:31 pm 

To my English speaking friends. In case they are curious to know what's happening in Ukraine.

IRON MAIDAN

During all our lives we move towards our phobias. Ironically enough, living trough this situations is the only way to overcome our rational and irrational fears. Giving a birth to a child in the situation of day-to-day uncertainty with a bonus of unstable future seems a very rational fear to me. Last year Lviv, unofficial capital of Galicia (Western Ukraine) was baby-booming. Many women became mothers for the first, second or third time synchronously with me. We joked about some secret fertile power of 2012 as new parents came from different backgrounds, age groups and income statuses. But it seemed we all developed our private bubbles of comfort zones. Trained by generations to arrange unspoken agreements with authorities: “we don’t touch you, you don’t touch us.” Life was not that bad, after all. We adjusted to corruption, taking advantages of human factor in arranging private and business issues – such spheres as medical care, for example, is 70% financially supported by patients. State only takes minimal care of buildings and ridiculous wages of doctors. Realizing that it’s not possible to stay professional operating an equivalent of 200-300 euro per month patients pay to the doctors after successful treatment. Doctors never demand but always except. Those who are really experienced and skilful reach a material comfort and are really passionate about their jobs. We felt OK with that. As a private entrepreneur who started small business in the age of 18, growing up in 1990s when well-educated people had to do gardening to survive without salaries I was well trained not to expect support from the state. Equivalent of 250 euro for smooth birth giving of my daughter didn’t seem too much for me and I respect the doctor for the fact that he seemed a bit awkward to take an envelope.
My private bubble was cosy. I worked hard for it. The deal with the state was loyal though illogical taxation system for small businesses. Both sides understood that it’s just a game of closing eyes. I could finally afford not to worry about money and happily switched to travelling and creative projects. Life was good enough to be able not to think about politics, which seemed very civilised to me and I have been fully concentrated on hedonism. Berlin, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Krakow felt like home for me. Nevertheless, being well travelled and having many foreign friends I was totally aware that EU is not a paradise but moving West always felt so much better than moving East.
Cities and towns with empty content of sleeping districts and lack of friendly urban space are able to breed an army of orks. It seems like a banal law of environmental logics works here. Devastated areas in between of grey blocks of flats with stinky elevator awake not the best of animal instincts in human beings. Having no responsibility in front community or families they are looking for the ways to feel powerful and entertain themselves. Last year in one of the small industrial towns women was violently raped by police officers who were totally sure they cannot be punished. I believed more and more that we don’t belong to the same nation and do not have much things in common to share. Separatist moods were never taken seriously but were widely discussed over glass of wine on pro-European summer terraces. We, Galicians, had this arrogant feeling that Europe is already here and pro-Russian USSR-nostalgic east is just a burden. To us signing EU association was more like one step more from Putin’s influences than idealistic utopia of getting to a vanity fair club.
The first wave of pro-association manifestations irritated me with their naivety. Seemed like people believed that Ukraine will immediately enter Schengen space and the life will turn into Euro-Disneyland. Many didn’t realise traps and possible consequences but those who did, still realized that with our geopolitical location it’s the only chance for better future. I still tried to stay aside and planned first Euro-holidays for my daughter in Barcelona and Paris. Lenin monument was down when we walked sunset beach, but it was bit later – in December.
In November, after association was not signed, protests got weaker and weaker. About a thousand of protestants stayed on Maidan Nezalezhnosti, the main square of the capital. They would probably get back home in a week or two. But authorities were inpatient trying hard to make their people feel happy. Riot police insisted on the importance of putting Christmas tree on the main square, with such a noble purpose romantic students armed with idealism of their adolescence were violently battered. They had to run and the only asylum was found in the church. Next morning I received a message with the request to share from a friend, a young girl who was lucky not to get seriously harmed; though this time everything seemed to be too extremely gender equal.
That was the breaking point with no way back possible.
Millions rose. Euro-optimists and euro-pessimists. Ukrainian speaking and Russian speaking. Upper middle and low-income classes. None of them wanted their children to be battered. All of them were sure that most terrible thing happened and wanted Mr. President to react. But it seemed he is selectively blind, so people on the streets were invisible to him. He also must be very frustrated with the failure of Christmas tree operation, the mission became impossible as the main square was barricaded. Hundred thousands of people decided to celebrate New Year their way, following and old rule of interaction with authorities: you ignore us, we ignore you.
I was there with my eight-month daughter. It was hard to catch the expected emotion. I thought the reason is my shame of being present here almost as a tourist. I blamed cluckyness syndrome and alcohol free party for the tension of growing anxiety inside my chest. The traditional depression of the 1st of January was strong even without hangover. The French father of our girl seemed much more into it, as a journalist he got very passionate about peaceful fight of Ukrainian people, not for EURO- anymore but for their rights and democracy. He kept telling everyone abroad that it is amazing that not a single car was yet burned, not a single vitrine was crashed, that Maidan is so clean, self-organised, alcohol free and aware about the reputation. And I still had this unease. The feeling that everything is possible. And it’s not necessarily good.
The body of a dead young man was wrapped into the blanket with a football balls he was shot in front of the stadium of local team. Just a coincident. I don’t know if he was a big fan of the game but he was not any kind of ultras, that’s for sure. He was an ethnic Armenian from the village in Dnipropetrovsk region. The anthem was sung while he was carried to the ambulance. Separatism talks became not possible for me anymore. Symbolically enough it happened on the day of Unity on Ukraine.
There was a lot of symbolism in riot actions, for example the first water pumps were used against protestors on the day of water Baptising. They were the first to start an action, that’s. After two months of standing and not being noticed by authorities. Although they got a signal that people of power think about them. Overcoming all legal procedures the laws which make peaceful protests not possible were voted. They try to claim many of these regulations to be of a European standard. But even if they were, we must not forget about the way our courts work. It’s similar to hospitals but here you pay in advance and not for professionalism, just for the decision you need. It is like an auction, the one who pays more – wins.
According to the new laws I am a foreign agent, my daughter is one too, as we accepted a contribution from abroad for her to be conceived. That’s a fun way of interpretation, but putting jokes aside, keeping calm means to stand and wait while people will be taken to jails one by one from the streets, from their homes and even from hospitals.
I believed in the power of peaceful protest for very long. But it does not seem to work when the army of street hooligans is hired by authorities to attack single protestants coming back home, to burn cars and to ruin the urban space. The proved rates are 20 euro per diem. It’s not a fight of gangs; it is organised war against pacific people. The actions of police are even more scary, the most innocent entertainment they organised for themselves was catching one of the activists, getting him undressed when its -15 outside, to take pictures and videos. It was innocent in their system of coordinates because the guy was not murdered.
As another activists joked “If you the only thing you find important is standing hard you are not more than a dick”. Now people have to protect their close ones.
Continuing physiological parallels I would declare a bladder the symbol of patience. Attitudes to freedom and to the need of comfort and in-time urination seem very similar. I remember once someone shared a water-melon strategy with me: try not to go to the toilets for the first session as long as possible and you will not have to rush there too often. Since early childhood we were taught to be patient due to poor infrastructure of public toilets, deficit of hygiene articles and tabooed talks about body issues.
Maybe that’s what Yanukovich, a person who still believes to be a president of the People was counting on. Removing eyes from bodies will make bodies blind. Taking bodies from hospitals to the woods and torturing them will make bodies weak or even better - dead. But it seems he forgot about emotion component, about invisible, undefined substance some call soul. It makes us not to stay indifferent, to come out of comfort zone for the sake of overcoming our own phobias.
You know what is the difference you notice first in the approach to daily routines on Ukrainians and Western Europeans? The lack of small fears: like asking policeman for the way or not whispering and rushing at the border crossings.
For now it’s not difficult to define what is the fight for. It’s not for the national idea as Ukrainian and Russian speakers seem as united as ever. United, among other, for sake of Armenian hero’s soul. The fight is not for EU Association either. Although the aim audience for the scary stories about gay marriages and invasion of immigrants for now realised it is not the biggest threat, if a threat at all. For now the definition is as simple as battle of good and bad. It is the fight for understanding that living in this country will still be one of the options for generation of today’s baby boom. I could organise my private comfort bubble elsewhere but I really feel like keeping one here.
I recall the hedonistically indifferent Maydays of the latest terms of my pregnancy with big nostalgia, as now the timeflow is divided into before and after as noticeably as ever. I realize that to get hedonism back we have to be strong during Maidandays. To have the MyDone feeling.
I want to be able to stay disconnected, to read a book, to take street-photos, to post silly things on Facebook, not to treat morning news as good just because there are no missing and dead, I want to get bored again, after all.
The garbage collectors come at 6 a.m., that I know. So when the noise of vehicle accompanies breastfeeding session at 3 a.m. I pop out of the window to check if these are not tanks from my childhood iron curtain propaganda fears. They are not. They clean snow. As I never observed a fight, the cold weather is the only phobia I had to face for real. And, you know, I’m not scared any more, I have an experience how to overcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:45 pm 

Hi Ceanard thanks for posting this very detailed account of what is going on in your lovely country. May I say how sad and concerned we are for you all in Ukraine. I think for myself the reason I haven't until now replied or made an opinion on your posts is that we don't get much information from our media , only what they want us to know and we are supposed to live in a democracy. I rely so much on the internet and translated reports from sources in Ukraine. Before I begin Please under no circumstances take this as a challenge to your point of view, it is merely an opinion which was put to me when I asked what is wrong with a pro euro opinion. I myself follow the work all around the world of the ANTIFA movement and have in all honesty agreed with all they do especialy recently in Greece and how they removed the fascist Idealists from their politics. and personally how they are managing to keep the far right BNP and UKip Parties in check in Scotland , I Have found myself more active in this political stance than I have in the independence movement. Because I feel the far right are most definitely a threat to any democratic principle. With that in mind I was furnished online with a report stating that in the Ukraine the far right svoboda party a neo fascist member of the European Nationalist movement, which includes the BNP and JOBBIk, are the vanguard for the pro Europe supporters and are very much the main body of the most destructive rioters, there are photos of these protesters with far right white power emblams on their shields and a fascist emblam on their armbands depicting fascist ideals. Now reading your points I DONT see any far right principles in your beliefs but only that of a citizen wanting to exercise your right as a free man to his point of view and that is what democracy is for. Could you confirm for me Is there a far right influence in the rioting and destruction. As ive said please donttake this as an argument for the other side Im very intrested on how much the far right has played in the breakdown of communications between democraticly principled people.

For we have faith in Scotland’s hidden powers, the present’s theirs but all the past and future’s ours."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:15 pm 

The problem with Ukrainian politics, seems to be that there is often a pro-western candidate and a pro-Russian candidate. I don't think either of these are good for the Ukraine. Ukraine needs pro-Ukraine candidates.

The Ukrainian borders have been altered too, which is a bad thing.

One wants to get the Ukraine into NATO + the EU empire, and the other wants Ukraine back in the Russian Empire. In the end, the Ukraine needs its own sovreignty, not to be a puppet of one or the other, and to be friendly with both the EU and Russia. The Ukraine is an ancient country in its own right and should be ruled from Kiev/Kyiv not Moscow or Brussels.

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:15 am 

READ THIS. IT IS IN ENGLISH!

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/984735.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:00 pm 

Thank you Ceanard for clearing that up there does seem to be a lot of diferent ideals being represented here but united in one cause, Thank you for taking the time to show us the truth

For we have faith in Scotland’s hidden powers, the present’s theirs but all the past and future’s ours."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:03 am 

Thank you guys for at least an interest in our events.

maciomhair: All this fascist and nazi stuff in Ukraine is total bullshit. "Svoboda" ("freedom" in Ukrainian) is far from being fascist and nazi, nor it uses any fascist/nazi symbols. It is just pro-Ukrainian right party, with no xenophoby, antisemitism and other similar bullshit. Comparing it with facsist/nazi movements in Europe is at least strange. The problem is that this bullshit has being spread by local pro-Soviet and Russian parts. Because all pro-Soviet and pro-Russian movements are strict anti-Ukrainian.
Moreover, the real fascist/nazi movements are located in Russia, not here - it can be easily checked.
But in our current case, real fascists are president, government and parliament's majority, so called Party of Regions, which came to power starting from criminal circles, and gaining their money by killing people in early 90s. Now they want to make kinda North Korea or Belarus here by criminal laws, beating, torturing and even killing protesters who just want to leave as humans. Thousands arrested, hundreds wounded, dozens kidnapped and even killed - this is now our reality. And killed by governmental criminal militia and its criminal support from the streets. During the last days: Russian military mercenaries are coming from Russia to support criminal government and torture protresters. This is a fact already. Because Russian Empire does not want Ukraine to go free. This is the real evil state nowadays.

Scottish Republican: I partly agree with you. Ukrainian politics should be pro-Ukrainian. But we still are in post-Soviet world, mostly without national identity (only in Western Ukraine and Center), and in some regions (especially in the East) the real feudalism can be seen. It is quite easy to ponder whether EU is good or bad for people who have the real democracy for hundreds of years. Here we have criminality and bandit governmental power. Our militia is beating and torturing people together with criminals, our courts and procurators are abusing people. You are happy to leave in Western Europe, with European human rights. Here the situation is close to Germany, when NSDAP with Hitler came to power. Western Europe closed its eyes then (just recall Czechoslovakia and Poland), and the result was in the WWII. We want European laws here with minimal corruption and working laws and courts. Here the corruption is overwhelming, and we have a real mafia - government together with criminals rule Ukraine. They are building their palaces for $billions when our people are starving in poverty. We do not want North Korea or Nazi Germany. Now it is very close... And I guess the West also does not want to have North Korea at her eastern borders...

This night, after the people's attempt to get the power back from the governmental bandits in the central and eastern regions, militia brutally dispersed and beat the peaceful demonstrators, hundreds are wounded and arrested. The most ugly thing is that militia uses criminals as its leading force, and these criminal just beat and kill peacefull protesters. Militia is not reacting, moreover, it is protecting criminals from the people's anger.

JUST READ AND WATCH (and there are tons of such videos and articles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOfpQf2c2gY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ8RKhD2WYo
http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v ... n.cnn.html
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

http://www.slideshare.net/NazarBartosik ... in-ukraine
http://maidantranslations.wordpress.com ... hospitals/
http://maidantranslations.wordpress.com ... rukhovych/

Lord, give mercy to my poor country...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 am 

Sorry for maybe kinda nervous texts above. The time is really tough...

And also: I am not a supporter of Ukrainian "Svoboda" party, nor any other party here. I am only supporting Ukrainian people for their human rights and better life. We just need help and support from you guys and from all Western democracy. Ukraine and hence Europe as well now are in big danger.

Re: fascism and antifascism: We aint fascists. We are patriots. Not as BNP there. Just as you. As SNP. As normal European democrats and normal people who have their national identity. And most who call themselves antifascists here are in reality soviet/communist fascists. Because communism is much worse than fascism. Just recall our famine ruled by communists during 30s, all Gulags and concentration camps, all exterminations during 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s that took tens of millions of Ukrainian lifes...

Also FYI:

PECULIARITIES OF THE UKRAINIAN REVOLUTION:
1. All over the world extremists are looting shops - in Ukraine "extremists" are detaining those who loot shops
2. All over the world the police protects people from the football ultras - in Ukraine football ultras protects people from the police
3. All over the world extremists are burning cars in the streets. In Ukraine the "extremists'" cars are being burnt.
4. All over the world nazi support nazism. In Ukraine "nazi" support European integration.

Some links:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/ ... n-ukraine/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/melikkaylan ... d-ukraine/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderic ... n-ukraine/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:31 pm 

Polish writer Andrzej Stasiuk - for Die Welt

The revolutionaries of Maidan (Independence Square in the heart of Kyiv, Ukraine) built a catapult to bombard the riot police on the other side of barricades with stones. Cossacks (medieval Ukrainian warriors), who we used to think usually fought on horseback as unstoppable cavalry, actually fought on foot, as infantry. They were experts at surrounding and blockading towns and castles. They built improvised siege machinery called “hylyaigorod” (a “mantlet”, movable shelter) and the others aimed at breaking castle gates and scaling walls.

Now their ancestors have built a catapult. The entire Maidan and the entire Ukrainian revolution depicted in photographs, viewed on television and on the Internet resemble a cross between a fantasy movie and an apocalyptic story from the distant future. Black smoke, burning barricades, urban revolutionaries wearing tank, construction, ski or motorbike helmets, goggles, gas masks, “dead head” skull and monster masks… The revolutionaries clad in snowboarding outfits who move to attack the police using their snowboards as shields, hammering away a battle rhythm on empty barrels used as war drums, Molotov cocktails illuminating the darkness like comets, barricades built from snow and poured with water so that the sub-zero temperatures made them as hard as a stone wall… It looks like a sinister carnival, like ominous fiesta. And on the other side of J. R. R. Tolkien's Mordor there are black motionless ranks, walls of rectangular shields, which from time to time get re-arranged into what ancient Romans called “tortoise formation” in order to shield the police officers hiding behind against incoming projectiles.

But don’t be fooled by your own desires, dear Europe! I know, you’re telling yourselves: “It can’t be happening... It’s just some sort of futuristic Mordor, some faraway “Upper Volta” on another continent...” You say: “No, it’s this Russia facing its internal problems... So we’d better stay away, try not to annoy or disturb... Russia is strong and it will sort things out as it has always done... We dare not chip away at the parts of Russia. How would it look? Now some Kalmykia would wish to break away, tomorrow something else... With all these camels, igloos, Buddhists and deserts. Or Mordovia, speaking of Mordor... We took in those Poles and Romanians and now we a bit unhappy... Besides, these ones burn tires! We do not burn tires, because it's not in line with our ‘going green’! We don’t waste precious gasoline hurling it (in Molotov cocktails) at the police...”

The distance from Berlin to Kiev is 1332 km. From Rome - 1500. From Paris - 1032. From Madrid is 2300 km. According to Google maps. But no map can measure and show the abandonment in which Ukraine has found itself this winter. During the Orange Revolution in 2004, the Maidan radiated joy even though the winter was as severe as now. Thousands of young people went to Ukraine from Poland to support the transformation. Our most prominent Polish politicians went there. Musicians were recording songs, artists staging solidarity happenings. Orange color was everywhere in Poland: scarves, bows, headgear, ribbons fluttering on car antennas. It seemed that the revolution was in fact a cheerful celebration. Today, when it’s all for real, not a fantasy fight but bloodshed and torture, a deafening silence fell over Kyiv’s Maidan... Even my country - so pro-Ukrainian and willing to participate in other nation's uprisings and revolutions - waits, guesses which way it would develop, watches over.

As if these couple of EU membership- and Schengen-visa years since our accession to the EU taught us self-interest and prudence. No tears on the barricades as during the Orange Revolution. Looking back and waiting of what the rest of Europe will say. I don’t know what happened. As if we have lost our faith in the very sense of helping others. Meanwhile, there, on the Maidan, happen the things, which are by far more important and more dangerous than back in 2004. What happened? The Ukrainians have gained more faith and strength, and we lost ours? Because we are safe and well fed? We no longer shout out: “Kyiv - Warsaw common cause!"? Because there is no carnival, only cold, smell of burning tires and gas, black night, loneliness and fear: "They’ll attack… or won’t they? We’ll be dead… or won’t we? "

Europe is a “tight” continent. If, indeed, it’s a continent, not a mere peninsula. It’s a perverse and cruel feeling of being forgotten and lonely in the midst of these pressed against each other territories, nations, cities. Poland already experienced total abandonment (and betrayal) in 1939. But that was a long time ago. But just remind yourself of the Balkans, surrounded by television cameras in the early 90s. Balkans nations were equally abandoned and the entire world was watching live as they were sent to slaughter. So in comparison to the events of 1939 there was registered considerable progress. Progress of perversion and cruelty.

We used to hypocritically mumble: “But these are the Balkans, it’s always been like this, they just like it.” In the case of Ukraine, it’s hard to go along this hypocrisy. Dear ladies and gentlemen, accept it: the Ukrainians are fighting there for all of us. If you think that the so-called "European values” are given to us once and for all, that this is something that you can buy and have - you are wrong! If you think this way, then it’s best to build a huge wall to protect our European peninsula from the rest of the world. Make it a sort of ghetto of complacency, virtual safety and pornographic abundance. Put guards up the walls to watch that the rest of the world is not coming to rob us. And so we’ll live like this until we die of fear, endogamy and boredom.

I do not know what happened with the continent, with its energy, courage, expansiveness, curiosity, vitality. We used to wander and explore the ends of the world, we used to set sail and travel to another side of the globe in wooden shells no larger than a train car. Yes, we did many terrible things, but we also did many great things too! The entire world stared at this ridiculous tip of the large chunk of Eurasia and couldn’t take their eyes off us. Today we stand at the window and look fearfully from behind the curtain: so that nobody, heaven forbid, starts “accepting that very [European] values." And if somebody wishes to do so, let it be as far as possible from us. Preferably in some forlorn Mordor…

But it will not work this way. Values have to be fought for. Not everything can be purchased. It is impossible to surround yourself the walls and guards. Like it’s not possible to seal off the entire Mediterranean coast from incoming African refugees. Similarly, we’ll not be able to seal off the entire eastern border of my country.

At the time of communism in Poland we had a sad joke: “The Soviet Union, who does it share its borders with?” The answer was: “With whom it wants…” The same is true today for Europe. Except that unlike the Soviet Union, Europe has nowhere to go. We don’t want to acknowledge that these professed by us (once ... ?) values are equally accepted well beyond Europe’s nominal borders. We tremble at the very thought of it: “How come? It means nothing but trouble!” Getting small, shrinking, hiding behind the curtain. Obsessively counting gains and losses. Dying of fear for our possessions. For our sickening peace, obscene prosperity, disgusting complacency.

Ukrainian winter of 2014 is a European disaster. Take a look at the images of ice-cold Kyiv, at the people who are ready to die for freedom and try to remember any "European" break through of the similar strength in the last few years. I remember Berlin in 1953, Budapest in 1956, Prague in 1968, Gdańsk in 1970. However, if it comes to the second part of the continent, it occurs to me that the most desperate protest against any threat to freedoms could only happen on the Internet. It's pathetic.

Also:

http://internews.ua/2014/01/five-things ... uromaidan/

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/d ... z2rcIUxDdl

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine ... 35614.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/kiev-or-kyiv-2014-1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 am 

The Truth should prevail:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/anne-applebaum-ukraine-shows-the-color-revolution-model-is-dead/2014/01/24/c77d3ab0-8524-11e3-8099-9181471f7aaf_story.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 pm 

I was in Kiev with the tartan army a good few years ago and heard first hand off tales from middle aged Ukrainians off mixed battles in the square between communists and nationalists all heavy duty stuff think it was just after the president was poisoned ..also bumped into a lot off right wing thugs who not only battered any tartan army they found in the square but any Ukrainian who happened to be there as well..crazy place at the time but must admit I loved the majority off ppl I met and shared their view that they should run their own country without outside interference ..hope every thing works out

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 pm 

Don’t Let Putin Grab Ukraine!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/04/opinion/dont-let-putin-grab-ukraine.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1