Siol nan Gaidheal forum

Whilst this forum is moderated, opinions expressed are those of the person posting, and are not necessarily those of the organisation.
It is currently Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:59 pm 

The funeral of our good friend David R Ross will be held on Monday 11th January at 3.30pm. The address is: South Lanarkshire Crematorium, Sydebrae, Blantyre, G72 0TL. All of his friends are cordially invited to attend.

No flowers, please. An announcement will be made shortly with regard to a charitable trust, to which donations can be made, either at the service itself or afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:43 pm 

David R Ross - An Appreciation.
David Ross and I first met on the grassy slopes below Dunnottar castle on August 23rd 2004. It was the annual commemoration of Sir William Wallace's martyrdom. David spoke with passion and brought the whole episode alive, where Wallace took Dunnottar in a surprise night attack. Davies description brought it all too life and I like many others around me was mesmerised by the recounting.

His "Walk for Wallace" was an inspiration which captured the imagination of the whole nation. It is for this, that he will be remembered best of all. All who were present at the memorial service and those of us who had to be content with the DVD recording will never forget that day.

Since then we met a few times at commemorations and the odd Tartan Army do. David came across as an "In your face" patriot of the highest order, of whom there are all too few in Scotland today. I read all his books and was stirred deeply by his empathy with the Wallace and the Bruce as he brought them to life. I personally will miss him and his words of inspiration as I am sure many more patriots will feel the same.

He was a big man both in stature, heart and love for Scotland and he has left a gaping chasm which will be difficult to fill although I am sure that eventually it will be filled. It is a great pity with Independence withing reach at long last, He will not be there to see it. Yet those who he inspired with his vision will see that day and in that sense Davie still lives on.

I shall always picture him as he stood on that grassy slope before Dunnottar, dressed in his Ross tartan kilt and white shirt, arm pointed up the slope as he told us of Wallace's victory. That perhaps, is how many of us will remember him. There is little I can say to Davie's wife and his daughter at this time except that we share your sense of loss and pain and that in time all things pass and we are left with the happy memories and also that we continue his crusade for Independence until independence becomes a reality..

Tapadh leat, a Dabhidh mor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:32 pm 

what a shock,another patriot gone,he was on good form at the sadr his book a passion for scotland is the best book ive read and will treasure the signed copy of the black douglass. so sad lost for words.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:45 pm 

Sad news indeed. Never had the pleasure of meeting him but admired his work.

I'm a Blantyre man, so if I'd noticed this before Monday I would have offered directions and the likes. Hopefully everyone attending made it with no hassle.

We gotta take the power back

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 pm 

Met the guy a few times, as he was here on Bute explaining about the Men of Bute and the battle of Falkirk. As a bit of info about myself, I have known Big Norrie for over twenty years. BUT before that I was an original member of Siol, joining in 1979. In those days we had Tom Moore, Val MacDonald, Sorley Munroe, Harry Galataily. We spent a fair bit of time camping in Glen Etive along with the Oyster catchers (anti nuclear dumpers). Willie McCrae was also a frequent visitor, along with Wendy woods. Hope to meet up with some of yourselves in Glasgow in the newar future. :saltire: :saltire:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:58 pm 

rossyrab wrote:
Hope to meet up with some of yourselves in Glasgow in the newar future. :saltire: :saltire:

Look forward to it Rab, and there's still guys here from around that time as well buddy, an i'm 'kinna' pally with the Dotcom guy anaw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

Dot coms a pall o mine as well.Look forward to meeting you Rab. Mrs M lived on Bute til she was five then came home.He parents worked on the estate.

To win or lose it all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:16 am 

A pleasure postponed but not for long :horsekeech:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:41 pm 

This is the first I have heard of Ross' passing.
I drink a toast to his memory.
Wp

I review the world
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107756849256699

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:01 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

My only regret about yesterdays result is that Big Davie and others like him weren't here to enjoy it with us, but sure he/they will be looking down from above or from the land of Tir Nan Nog as he often referred to it.

For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we submit to English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 am 

Rebel Highlander wrote:
My only regret about yesterdays result is that Big Davie and others like him weren't here to enjoy it with us, but sure he/they will be looking down from above or from the land of Tir Nan Nog as he often referred to it.

I posted a message on Fb on Friday for all his friends to raise a wee dram in his memory at 8 that evening. Got plenty messages back. After a successful inaugaral Louden Hill Commemoration yesterday, the rain just started to come on as we finished. Someone commented, "Big Davie was looking after the weather for us"

Felt his absence terribly yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:10 pm 

He'll be partying somewhere just now anyway...

NB - I am not the same person as the poster "Scottish republic".

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 pm 

Aye, with bloody cooking whisky as usual... :razz:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:35 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

He will that Jolly, Yes the result without the big man was hard to take, Was driving up from London when got text saying that we were all doing a toast at 8pm, stopped off to get can red bull to toast the big man and all the other great patriots who missed what was a great day for Scotland
Agree with CH was missed badly at Loudon Hill but we will keep up and finish the good work the big man started.
Battle of the Bell O The Brae cairn planning application has been sent into the Council so fingers crossed as last thing Davie was working on

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm 
NEC Member
NEC Member

I stand before this flag. The white Saltire of St Andrew in the blue summer’s sky.
It represents the soil from which I sprang, and to which, one day, I must return.
It represents Scotland.
As it was;
As it is;
As it always will be.”

Sleep well, big warmer.

To win or lose it all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:17 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEfmy5TaqHg